Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first motorcycle recently, a vintage honda XL250, seemingly in great shape. The first thing I did was replace the battery because it was old and only $20 to replace, but it's been having very strange electrical problems ever since.

With the new battery in it, everything will work nicely for a few weeks, but then the turn signal starts draining the battery like crazy. When it first happened, I wasn't sure that it was the battery so I used a multi meter to test the battery and everything seemed fine until you turn the turn signal on--the battery instantly drops to half capacity. I called it a faulty battery, got a warranty replacement, and everything's been working perfectly for about 2 weeks until yesterday it started happening again: turn on the turn signal and not only will the turn signal not work, but the neutral light won't come on either. As soon as I turn the turn signal off, the neutral light comes back and everything is fine.

It seems like some kind of short in the system, but I'm not sure where to look, or why it wouldn't be more of a constant problem. Please help :crying:

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
It sounds like the battery isn't getting the proper charge from the engine. Eventually it loses power over time.

What is the voltage reading at the battery with the engine running at a high idle?

·
Vintage Rider
376 Posts
We'll need more info, such as volts at the battery when engine is running and when off. Also the initial charge rate on those small batteries is critical to the life expectancy as well. Charging at too high of an ah rate will destroy it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts