Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1974 Yamaha DT100 - will not shift above neutral.

Always shifted into every gear fine, until I let a new rider (i am selling the bike) take it for a test ride. Now it won't shift above neutral. It will shift perfectly into 1st and neutral, but when I try for 2nd the lever stops right before the click. I actually got it to shift through all gears twice out of about 30 tries.
- I replaced gear oil (slightly low. Not too old). No change.
- I took crankcase off and checked the shifting fork and everything visible. (I am a beginner when it comes to engines so please excuse my vocab/descriptions. I will do my best)
I discovered that when turning the kick start to rotate the engine I could get the shifter fork to pull thru all gears at one spot and the rest of the circumference it was stuck in 1st/neutral. The fork would pull the gear most of the way and then stop right before click. Seemed like the jam was in gearbox where I cannot see.

This is my best idea of what's wrong so far, but I am lost at this point and really do not want to take gear box apart. Am I on the right track? What might be causing this issue? Any tips or personal experience is much appreciated... Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What's the deal... This is the only post with no reply. Am I lacking info or does no one else have any info on the subject???

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Sounds like the shifter dawg is damaged. Either take the bike to a qualified mechanic, or at least get a Clymer repair manual... The problem resides on the right side of the motor, where the shifting fork meets the dawgs.

Also... make sure the clutch cable is set properly. And check to make sure the shift lever (foot shifter) isn't slipping on the splines of the shifter shaft.

You may now take your panties out of a bunch... LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts