Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright! This is going to be the home of my GT550 restoration project. I'll try to post updates as much as I can but this is going to be a full restoration that I'm sure is going to take well over a year. I'm definitely going to be looking for some help from the community as this is going to be my first rebuild. So with that, I'm going to make a couple more posts on this thread to get over my quota and post some pictures for y'all!

Here's a link to my New Member post if you want a little more backstory on me and the project.
https://www.motorcycleforum.com/58-new-member-introductions/234216-new-member-1974-suzuki-gt550.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First thing, any suggestions? I'm not looking to make this into a cafe racer, which undoubtedly would be awesome, but I am open to some performance and cool factor changes. Any aftermarket parts you've used? Places to find parts? Any place that does custom pipes or recovers seats? I'm all ears to any knowledge!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lastly, if you know of any resources, articles or stories (even yours), please post them here! Really anything that has to do with the '70s GT series bikes. UncleBo posted an article, well Critter posted the article but UncleBo posted about a friend that finished the Iron Butt Rally with a Water Buffalo. Apparently if you put some studded tires on a GT it can go offroad too!

Post awesome stuff like that here! Hopefully this can become a go to for all GTs as I restore my 550. Hell, post pictures of your GT here as well, I'd love to see it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, without further ado...the GT550!

..featuring Sadie the sweetest meekest dog you'll ever know!

So before you start hating on the Windjammer, yes it has been removed and no, it probably won't be put back on even though its in really good condition. Seat is gonna have to be redone or replaced and obviously a lot of elbow grease is gonna have to go into that chrome. Unfortunately I think some of it is gonna have to be re-plated as there's a quite a bit of pitting in some places (like the rear fender). I'm also gonna have to replace the Suzuki name plate on the side of the fuel tank though. At some point some vehicle emblem thief decided to jack that, I can only hope its hanging off of someones gold chain!

Attachments

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,538 Posts
following

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So its been a couple weeks since I've posted. I've been gone on a work trip and vacation so haven't had a chance to post my progress. Not a huge amount done but have the seat and tank off as well as the muffler, pegs, air intake and some other odds and ends. I've actually been pretty amazed at how easily everything is coming apart. For bolts that haven't been turned in 50+ years, most are coming right out. Except for one...yup, twisted one off already. Haven't addressed drilling it out yet, kind of putting that crappy task to the back burner. You can actually see it in the second photo of the sprocket cover, its the upper left hand corner of the cover. I plan on getting as dead center as possible with a prick and center punch and using a drill press and a carbide bit, if anyone has any expert advice on the subject, I'm all ears.

However my biggest road block right now is not being able to get the sprocket cover off. Its loose everywhere except around the crank shaft. The shaft does rotate and move so its not ceased or rusted onto it. I've tried banging on it from the back side (not incredibly hard) but no dice. Is there maybe a seal that's fused itself to the shaft and the cover? Do I need to bang on it harder? Some suggestions would be great!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts