Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '74 Honda CB360t that I've been working on for the last few years it hadn't been driven in a couple of decades. A couple of months ago I rebuilt the carburetor and tried to start it and after a few tries it started up. Tried again later and it wouldn't go, so I started tinkering with the electrical components of the ignition system. I installed a new condenser, checked the coils set the points, and then tested for spark successfully. It still didn't start so I took the carbs off to check if I was getting fuel through the carbs by blowing compressed air through it. In short, I have spark, compression is good and I should be getting fuel so I don't understand why my bike won't start. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say your carb cleaning was not done thoroughly also check the diaphragms for holes or cracks.
My diaphragm is okay and I bought the carb kit with all new brass from common motor collective to replace the old with new. Is there anything else you suggest I clean?

·
Vintage Rider
407 Posts
Have you tried a shot of starting fluid? If it runs for a bit then you know it's still fuel related. All passageways including jets and emulsion holes should be checked with wire jet cleaner to prove open, especially the idle circuit. I say all this as some people simply wipe out the bowl and say they've cleaned the carb. How dirty was it when you first took it apart. I also use an ultrasonic cleaner to help with passageways that you can't see straight through. Compressed air from rubber tipped nozzle can also help prove it's open when you see a mist of cleaner come out the other end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried a shot of starting fluid? If it runs for a bit then you know it's still fuel related. All passageways including jets and emulsion holes should be checked with wire jet cleaner to prove open, especially the idle circuit. I say all this as some people simply wipe out the bowl and say they've cleaned the carb. How dirty was it when you first took it apart. I also use an ultrasonic cleaner to help with passageways that you can't see straight through. Compressed air from rubber tipped nozzle can also help prove it's open when you see a mist of cleaner come out the other end.
Thanks, I'll try this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts