Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
this year i bought my first motorcycle @ 7500 og miles on it. i bought it from a nice guy who happened to be an ex mechanic. it was in great, running condition a few months ago. i put about 500 miles on it this year so far, but for the past few weeks ive been running into issues.

when riding at 45 MPH+ for a bit, and then pulling in the clutch for a stop light, the engine would sputter and die. i dealt with this for about a week and then it got worse..now it sputters and dies at 45 MPH even with out pulling in the clutch. i can ride for about 2 minutes before it sputters, and i have to pull over because its stalled.

i should note that i have been trying to figure this out and have done somethings in attempt to fix the problem.
-changed the spark plug (ive swapped 3 because they are cheap and im desperate)
-adjust idle scew
-adjust fuel/air screw (this was a can of worms but i think i have it stable again)
-charged the battery with 6v charger
-cleaned carb and jets
-cleaned airfilter
-changed oil

after reading around for a bit it seems to be the engine is starved for fuel at higher speeds. my most recent suspicion is that there is a vacuum created the prohibits airflow and chokes it out? idk. which brings me to a few things that i think are worth mentioning

-gas cap leaks fuel (very annoying and has damaged OG paint)
-exhaust has turned blue and purple at around 7600 miles. but spark plug seemed to be aging properly)
-left keys in ignition a few times overnight and then one day noticed it was completely dead. so i bought a charger and revived it. idk if its toast. have been considering buying a new one just in case its kaput

things im considering doing are buying a new battery, cleaning jets with a guitar strings to really get in there, and possibly adjusting the throttle needle?

im anxious to ride again and commute to school and work like i used to. i really miss riding. please help me. thanks.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Two things to try. when the bike dies, remove the fuel cap and wait a bit and then see if it starts. If it does start, that indicates that the vent in the fuel cap is plugged and the bike will starve for fuel.

Also, there is a fuel screen you can access in the petcock by taking off the bowl. They can and do get plugged with dirt in the tank.

Also, you can test the fuel flow simply by removing the fuel hose at the carburetor and catching the fuel in a container for a few minutes. If the fuel flow diminishes after time then you know that you can narrow it down to these two things or a dirty inline final fuel filter, if so equipped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you so much for your input slumlord and dodsfall. these sounds like very resonable suggestions. ill try troubleshooting the petcock and gas cap. dodsfall ill try re-cleaning the carb and probably focus on the jets. ill let you guys know how it goes

thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts