Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1974 Honda 360t that has a wire pulled out of the clutch lever area. The wiring diagram calls it a clutch lever wire. There are 2 wires inside the big wire. I guess I don't know how to re attach the wires. There is a plastic piece still in the handle but I can't remove it. What exactly does this wire do? I looked on parts diagrams and don't even see it listed. It doesn't look like these wires go into the control box on the left handle. So any help on how to attach these would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bike has been sitting since '93 and has went through many people. So I'm trying to get it back on the road again.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Find out where the wires go; I suspect nowhere. It may not be original to that bike.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Ya, I'm a bit surprised to see that. Interesting.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
On the side of the clutch lever assembly facing us [in the picture] the wires have broken off in the hole inboard from the clutch cable. Get a new safety switch assembly like this one

http://www.cb750supply.com/products/5/electrical/46/brake-switches

One end plugs into the jumble of wires inside the headlight bucket, and the molded end goes in that hole in the clutch lever bracket assembly.

As far as how it works, the starter will not spin if the bike is in gear. Engage the clutch and the bike will start even if in gear. Handy if you stall at a stoplight.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Good find on that switch. Assuming that switch was functional on that bike, an alternative is to just clean the ends of the wires and solder or crimp them together, and apply a heat-shrink insulator cap.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I have a 74' 360 and don't have that, have never seen it on any old Hondas I've had. If it was me, I would just short the wires out and not replace it, but I also know that is not the right and proper thing to do.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
That's why I don't think that clutch lever came with that bike; I don't know when they added a safety switch, but the Honda CB450K ('68 to '74) doesn't have one, and the '86 Intruder does, so, sometime between those years, they were added.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have another 74 360 and it has the same issue. But I've got the cable ordered, should be a cheap and easy fix. Also if any one knows where I can find a set of floats and float bowls for the carbs it would help greatly. Saw some bowls on eBay, buts 75 is quite steep in price to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 74 360T also but mine doesn't have the wires like yours. I have the same hole in the housing and looking inside, it backs up to the lever. I agree that it was most likely a safety switch that lives in there.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Hmmmm. My 1974 CB360 has the switch. So does my 77 CB550. I wonder if it has anything to do whether or not if it is a Custom or a Super Sport?

Also,it doesn't show up in the Honda manual electrical schematic.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Could be the market it was made to be sold in - some accessories were added to meet local regulations, like the front parking light for Canada and the UK, but not installed for the US market.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts