Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1973 Suzuki GT185 that died on me one night and wouldn't start back up. Since then I have rebuilt the engine, new seals, gaskets, rings, rebuilt the carb, had a mechanic adjust the floats, replaced the coils, and still the same story. Cranks over and over and won't start. It sounds like it pops when I spray starter fluid in the carb but doesn't seem to help that much. The compression is good, checked with a compression gauge. I see spark coming from the spark plugs. I have no idea what's wrong with this bike. It's getting fuel and spark but it won't start. Maybe I'm missing something, I was hoping someone could help me out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I second checking the valves. I had an ATV that got fuel and spark but refused to start and it turned out to be the valves were too tight

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same here with my Suzi Freewind. Bille---My valves won't stay adjusted. You have any idea why they keep tightening up? The valves themselves, lifter, etc are all new. Something is definitely worn out though. I can't tear it down and adjust them every 500 miles. Springs??

·
Vintage Rider
407 Posts
Are you guys serious? It's a two-stroke twin. No valves...No Springs or even a cam.
Most likely not getting fuel due to operator error. Most vintage two strokes have an enrichment valve to be used for starting a cold motor. (which has a lever or cable to operate and needs to be adjusted to seal when off) When in use the throttle MUST be completely closed to be effective, or the motor can't make the vacuum required to pull fuel through the enrichment circuit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts