Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a 1973 honda sl 125, it runs good, only thing is, the headlights, neutral light, backlighting for the guages, and taillight doesn't work, headlight and tail lights i know have good bulbs, (just checked) also the kill switch on the handlebar does not do anything, however the ignition switch works fine. wondering if this is a common problem also how can this be fixed?
anything will help
thanks!

· Registered
2,370 Posts
First,the kill switch. DO NOT be tempted to take the kill switch apart when it is still mounted to the bike handlebar. There is a little E-clip that holds the top half of the kill switch together,but if you remove it,little balls and springs let go and you will never find them. The best way to check if a kill switch is working is to test the three wires that come away from the kill switch---probably will be connections for them in the light bucket. To test the switch,turn the switch to 1st kill position, and run a continuity on every possible combination of the three wires [do this in the headlight bucket]. In short order,you will find that one wire is common to both legs of the kill button and that will tell you that your problem is not the switch.If it still does not work,you turn the switch upside down and squirt some good penetrating oil from inside the switch housing, you may get the contacts to clean up enough for the switch to work. You cannot buy these any more,so go slow with this repair...
As far as the other problems,it may be that your fuse is blown or the fuse block is corroded. All the lights that are out on your bike are fed directly from the main switch or through other switches from the main switch. I had good results cleaning the fuse block clips with a mild mix of toilet bowl cleaner and water,and the oxidation slowly dissolved from the fuse clips without scratching. Of course you need to rinse the cleaner away and apply penetrating oil after the clean-up. If you have not yet done so,it is always a good idea to take apart each bullet connector and clean up the cruddy ones. a .17 caliber bore brush for the 17 caliber rifle from a gun store works for the female connector. Use dielectric grease commonly sold at auto stores for spark plug wire connections after the cleaning.
My little CB 100 only has one fuse and it is inline so if you cannot find a fuse block on your bike,keep searching for an inline fuse.
let us know what happens...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.