Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 1973 Honda elsinore the model number is MT125. It has been sitting for around 8 or 10 years and i just recently tore apart the carb so it will actually start which is a big deal for this bike. To the point though, when it starts we have the fuel shut off and it will only run 1000 to 1500 rpm's at full throttle until if just about runs out of gas then it picks up to a normal operating bike. Only for about afew seconds before it runs out of gas, i found if i put the gas barely on it will kinda move but i really have to work the throttle to keep it from stalling. Does anyone know what i could try?

·
Registered
495 Posts
almost sounds like your flooding it. a frien had a similar problem on his chopper he was getting too much fuel and not enough air basically it is just a bad mix. try playin with the idle control. if it has one

·
Premium Member
5,517 Posts
Sounds to me like the float valve isn't closing. Make sure the float level is set correctly, then try blowing into the fuel inlet while lifting the float. It should shut off any air movement as the valve closes. If not, and the float actually floats, the valve seat could have come loose, or the valve it too worn to function.
In '73, the valve was probably metal-to-metal, but I've found replacement float needles with a synthetic rubber tip to replace the ones in my CB450, so you may be able to find one for yours.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Like WintrSol indicates, you could have float valve issues. Did you re-set or check the float to any specs? Replace any parts? I would also try to watch for black smoke or soot out the exhaust to indicate if its too much gas. Also anyhting going on with the choke?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts