Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 1973 CL 350. Was running great. All the sudden there were some problem with one of the carburetors where it would spit and cough for about 5 minutes before it decided to run at full power. Filled up with some premium and about 5 oz. of sea foam to see if it would help.

Bike ran fine for about an hour and i got home. Next day went to start and the carburetor won't react unless I am on full throttle. If while idling I throttle it the bike dies when it hits 3,000 rpm - 4,000 rpm due to the bad carburetor.

Gave up getting both to run and brought the bike back in. Noticed when the bike is off and I move the throttle arm located on the carburetor up and down it gets stuck at a point close to the idle spot and can be forced past this spot, however, makes a clicking noise when I do so.

Any thoughts on what is causing this and what i can do to get her up and running again? Any input would be great!

·
Registered
27 Posts
If idle, and just off idle, is ok, and WOT (Wide Open Throttle) is ok, I'd say it sounds like the problem is in your mid-range circuit, which would be your needle and slide. I'd focus your efforts there.
I'm not sure how much effort it takes to manually open the throttle, as you described, but it should be smooth and the same resistance all the way through. Something is getting hung up there. Again, your needle and slide.
Did I say check the needle and slide? :D

·
Gadget Freak
339 Posts
The needle and slide work on vacuum on these.

The throttle works a conventional butterfly. Possible that one or both screws are loose on the butterfly. You'll have to look in, carefully push up the slide and see if the scres are loose.

Probably a lot easier if you take the carbs off the bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts