Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd introduce a newer addition to my "Rizingson Collection"
Back in the '60s, it was usually Honda leading the Japanese manufactures with new release styles and technical improvements, that added new customers to the fold, but Yamaha stole the motorcycle scene in 1968 with their unstoppable DT1 250cc Enduro. A design that quickly expanded into a new range of Enduros (dual sport bikes) that would be manufactured in all the popular sizes. They defined a new market for motorcycles designed for both street and off-road riding. Not surprisingly the rest of the “Big Four” immediately followed suit. This 1972 Yamaha AT2, while in my opinion not one of the better looking models, (no fancy tank graphics or fender stripes😕) is still an unmolested and well cared for survivor that I was happy to add to my collection.

Each new revision came with subtle improvements, both to handling and power. By 1972 the 125cc AT2 had moved up from 5-port induction to 7-port including the first use of a reed inlet valve on this series. A high clearance rear fender was used, but the AT2 still had little clearance on the front fender. Turn signals were standard and insured that it could be legally ridden on the streets.

With the use of a starter jet and electric start, the 13 HP 2 stroke engine fires up with just a touch of the button. Kick start is also available. Lubrication oil, for the Autolube system, is stored in a separate 1.3 qt tank that has a handy sight glass making sure that it is safe to run. A well spaced 5 speed manual transmission came with the full range of Enduro’s.

The instrument panel is complete with a separate tachometer and speedometer. The speedometer also has a trip meter. This set doesn’t have the usual cracking on the face, that many early ‘70’s Yamaha’s have, and the mileage is reasonably low on this AT2.

The AT2 is fitted with Dunlop Trials Universal tires as standard equipment, which are versatile enough for trail or road use. The luggage rack is also standard equipment. Shocks are adjustable to five different levels of stiffness.

The Mandarin Orange paint color really pops in the sunlight, but I’m not sure it makes up for the lack of cool graphics on the ’72 Enduro line. Despite the tanks smallish look, it holds 1.8 gallons of fuel.

Cover of the Dealership Brochure

A popular magazine ad featuring the AT2 along with its bigger brother the CT2.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,988 Posts
That is all original not a ground up restoration? That looks to be in great shape.

·
Vintage Rider
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is all original not a ground up restoration? That looks to be in great shape.
Yes Critter, this AT2 has not been restored or even cosmetically enhanced. I may do some touch up on it later, mainly some rock chips on the chain guard as well a repaint the exhaust.

·
American Legion Rider
19,418 Posts
Does putting some of that ceramic coating stuff on it, ruin it's value? That paint looks like it would pop with that stuff on it.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,988 Posts
That is a great find. Did you find it or did it find you? I have a feeling people look at your bikes when you are at a show and somewhere in the conversation they say "you know my neighbor has a 'fill in the blank' is his basement/garage"

·
Vintage Rider
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a great find. Did you find it or did it find you? I have a feeling people look at your bikes when you are at a show and somewhere in the conversation they say "you know my neighbor has a 'fill in the blank' is his basement/garage"
You are mostly correct Critter, this bike came from someone whom is a friend that shows bikes as well. Usually someone see's my collection and then wants to give me first shot at a bike they may be selling if I'm interested. Plus I'm willing to give someone a fair price on a bike I like. I'm trying to finish up my projects that I currently have but now (due to my age:cautious:) just look for cream puff non molested survivors with original paint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts