Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at a honda scrambler but it needs a camshaft replaced and i was wondering if anyone had any info on that. Is it a difficult job? My brother is a pretty good mechanic. any info will help. thanks

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The camshaft is fairly easy to get to on these.

How do you know that there is something wrong with the camshaft? These don't usually fail before more delicate parts do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the guy I'm buying it from took it too a shop and was told that and the gaskets need replacing. he didn't have the money to fix it.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The camshaft itself doesn't have any gaskets directly involved with it as far as I know. Over the top there is a valve cover gasket and below the valve train there is the head gasket. There may be a timing chain cover gasket on these as well, but I'm not 100% certain.

If the problem is simply an oil leak, it's simple to fix and the engine will still run. If something broke in the valve train area, that usually means a valve replacement at minimum, and possibly a replacement piston.

I would recommend seeing the actual estimate for the repair work before buying so you know what you are getting into. Buying a pig in a poke often doesn't turn out well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All years are not the same. I put a 69 head on my 71 CL350, and tried to re-use my cams, and they didn't fit. Fortunately, I had a whole 69 engine, and swapped the rest of the head over to finish the job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts