Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

After scouring the internet for a few hours, I found this site and made an account. I'm riding a 1972 Honda CB500, and today while riding, the shift lever popped down past it's usual position, and I could no longer shift.

When I looked closer, I saw that the teeth on shift lever itself are stripped, so it was rotating beyond where it usually is instead of shifting. I've already ordered a new one, but my question is; what is that rod that the shift lever gets screwed onto? I've looked everyone for different diagrams, and videos, but to no avail.

I'm trying to figure out what that rod is in case it too has stripped teeth on it and will need to be replaced.

Any input on this will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
The rod passes through the transmission to the clutch side, where it has a lever attached. That lever has two teeth which can pull on a mating toothed wheel, and is held against that wheel with a spring. When you move the shift lever, one of the teeth on the shift rod grabs the toothed wheel and rotates it in the direction chosen by which way you move the shift lever. The toothed wheel is on the end of the shift drum, and rotating that moves the gears around. There are other bits involved, like some that hold it in the selected position, but those are the basics.

EDIT: removed reference to 500T, since that was a '75 model.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
You should be fine, the splined shaft is steel but the shift lever itself is usually a softer metal such as aluminum.

·
lost
1,106 Posts
Yep, check out the splined shaft sticking out of the engine. AKA gearshift spindle. See the links below for details. Both the spindle and the gear shift pedal appear to be unavailable now. That doesn't mean all is lost though. You have several options at this point. First off I doubt the spindle is messed up unless someone's been really abusive. Check the splines all the way around for damage.

You probably can find a reasonable replacement for the shift pedal, you just need to be certain the inside diameter is appropriate for the shaft's outer diameter. Probably not a huge deal as most bikes of similar displacement eill have the same size. The length needs to be close so you're not either kicking it all the time or having to reach for it depending upon if it is too long or too short.

eBay might just be the place you need to go. I'd want to see pictures that show the opening of the pedal quite well so you can tell you're not buying junk. Once installed be certain to snug the bolt down to proper torque to prevent a repeat episode. If you haven't already found out, the pinch bolt needs to be removed from the pedal to let it slip off the end of the shift shaft. Likewise for installing the new one.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb500-500-four-k1-1972-usa_model460/partslist/E++17.html#results

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb500-500-four-k1-1972-usa_model460/partslist/F++37.html#results

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p1883.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.X1972+honda+CB500+shift.TRS0&_nkw=1972+honda+CB500+shift&ghostText=&_sacat=0

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Wintersol has a great description of the shaft and mechanism.

I think your bike is similar to the 450 engine, which I have replaced that shaft on before. I remember I had to take both side covers off and I was indeed able to fanangle the mechanism off without major disassembly... just in case you ever have to change it.

·
lost
1,106 Posts
Wintersol has a great description of the shaft and mechanism.

I think your bike is similar to the 450 engine, which I have replaced that shaft on before. I remember I had to take both side covers off and I was indeed able to fanangle the mechanism off without major disassembly... just in case you ever have to change it.
From the fiche it looks like the big end of it is on the right side so it'll have to be monkeyed out under the clutch and whatever mystery marvel gubbins live over there. That is if it needs replacing. It looks like eBay is loaded with them. Just a matter of getting one in good shape.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Ya, it was over 10 years ago, so my memory is a bit foggy.. I remember disengaging the mechanism, rotating the assembly and then finding a position where I could just get it past the clutch.

·
lost
1,106 Posts
Yer doin' well. I can't recall what I had for supper last night. Or if I did actually eat. Based on my waist I'm assuming I did.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,493 Posts
Bwana - do you drink diet soda and over 50? If so you can blame your waist on that. That is my excuse

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, thank you all for the insight. I was told it was called a 'shift spindle', and I've seen a couple on ebay with different names. It appears the teeth on it aren't SUPER deep, but I took a closer look at the gear lever and it definitely has seen better days (ordered one off of ebay).

It's good to hear that most of you don't think I'll have to replace the spindle, but I guess I'll know for sure when the gear lever gets here.

Thanks again, everyone!

·
lost
1,106 Posts
Bwana - do you drink diet soda and over 50? If so you can blame your waist on that. That is my excuse
I'm coming up on finishing my 56 lap around the sun. But I can't stand artificial sweeteners/diet sodas. My drink of choice is beer, good ones like some of the local micro brews. I've also got a soft spot for shine, the real stuff, not the dumbed down offerings.

There was a time you could have thrown me through a latched screen door and I would've gone straight through it without causing any damage. I just blame the planet for sucking harder on my feet than it did 30 years ago.

Who turnt up the gravity?

·
lost
1,106 Posts
Wow, thank you all for the insight. I was told it was called a 'shift spindle', and I've seen a couple on ebay with different names. It appears the teeth on it aren't SUPER deep, but I took a closer look at the gear lever and it definitely has seen better days (ordered one off of ebay).

It's good to hear that most of you don't think I'll have to replace the spindle, but I guess I'll know for sure when the gear lever gets here.

Thanks again, everyone!
Nope, they aren't super deep, but they shouldn't look like they've been chewed on. Nice clean splines uniform all the way around the shaft.

Just be sure you get that pinch bolt torqued down to spec. You don't need to wring the head off it but get the torque right. Make sure it turns freely in the threads of the pedal before installing. When it is tight it shouldn't move on the shaft at all, either rotate around it or slide on/off. Otherwise you'll be looking for another shift pedal in the near future.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts

Thanks again, everyone!
The spindle splines are pretty tough. When you get that replacement lever, you might consider replacing the pinch bolt with a high-strength one, so you can make it tight without snapping it. Torque should be about 90 lb-in (7.5 lb-ft).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very cool. Love the positive outlook! I look forward to receiving my lever and seeing how it goes. Good advice on the high-strength pinch bolt, too!

·
lost
1,106 Posts
The spindle splines are pretty tough. When you get that replacement lever, you might consider replacing the pinch bolt with a high-strength one, so you can make it tight without snapping it. Torque should be about 90 lb-in (7.5 lb-ft).
I'm about 10 days post op having a cataract removed from my left eye and still have the right one to go. Needless to say I'm getting used to having my bad eye become my good eye. Depth perception and focus are, uh, fun. I feel like a friggin new born trying to pour stuff and put tops back on bottles.

Because I'm looking at half blurred and half sort of clear text it looked to me that you had typed 90 ft-lbs. I thought maybe I'd run into one of my brothers, the one who tightens things until they snap off.

·
American Legion Rider
18,588 Posts
I'm about 10 days post op having a cataract removed from my left eye and still have the right one to go. Needless to say I'm getting used to having my bad eye become my good eye. Depth perception and focus are, uh, fun. I feel like a friggin new born trying to pour stuff and put tops back on bottles.

Because I'm looking at half blurred and half sort of clear text it looked to me that you had typed 90 ft-lbs. I thought maybe I'd run into one of my brothers, the one who tightens things until they snap off.
I'm actually amazed just how many have done this. I'm on my 5th day post op of my second eye. Took me a long time to get up the nerve to let someone cut my eye but I was nearly blind so had no choice. Failing the eye exam for license renewal just wasn't something I wanted. And by the numbers, the doc that did mine does 40 a day for two days every week. Where the heck are all these blind people coming from and why hasn't their driving got better?

Was one of the drops extremely uncomfortable for you? One of them for me is like someone placed an ice pick on my eye. Stings like heck for about 5 seconds and then fine. But I hate putting that one in anyway. I'll still have to wear glasses as I have some kind of retina problem too they are now watching. It's not easy getting old!

Conversation in pre-op was all about where we are in medicine now. Nurses saying we are just about to the point they can keep you alive as long as you want if you have enough money. Not sure that's a good thing myself. Just being alive is not living. Guess some don't care though.

·
lost
1,106 Posts
A lot of stuff bothers my eyes. Usually getting caught behind a bus while I'm crossing the Bay Bridge in heavy traffic. I gotta shove crowbars in my eyes to keep 'em open. So I thought the burn was just me. But yep, one of the drops is worse than the other 347 they gave me. Nah, I'm down to using two different meds now. One in the morning (I think that is the eye burner) and one of them twice daily. Both are anti inflammatory IIRC.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts