Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to the site. I have a 1982 Honda CB175 and was wondering why my kick start won't catch at all. I just bought it. I'm new into fixing up bikes, but I'd like to get into it. Also was wondering if there's any good places I could buy mufflers? The guy I bought if from said the old ones were to corroded and he took them off. Like I said I'm a kid just trying to get into bike. Would like some extra help. Thanks.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Probably the spline is stripped or the shaft isn't moving properly. There is a good chance that the gear is not moving on the shaft, possibly due to rust from not being lubricated if the bike hasn't been run for several years.

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
It's been years since I had a kick start but if I remember right you should be able to hear or feel the paw or catch thing click as you slowly let it come up after going all the way down, correct? It maybe that the paw is rusted in place maybe? You could put it in second or third gear and push it and release the clutch just to see if it will turn over. Heck it might fire but somehow I doubt it but you never know.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
How hard of a fix could this be?
http://www.dansmc.com/kickstarters.htm..
And, for the easy stuff, make sure that the ball bearing[just a single ball] has not fallen out when someone removed the clutch side panel. There is also an adjustment in a spiral shaft affair right beneath the kick starter that can go out of whack if someone removes it to clean it out. There may also be a single ball under there [on the kickstart side] as well, but I actually do not remember...

If Wintersol happens along, he will know for sure. You really need a honda service manual for your bike. the Dansmc site is really a gem for the older bikes with gobs of general information. Also, you can go to a honda dealer website and access exploded drawings like this one for your specific bike.
http://www.hondapowersportsoftroy.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

I did not even find a 1982 model of your bike, so I downloaded a 1972 kickstart drawing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts