Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm new here, I own a 1972 Honda cb100 that was given to me. I want to install a tach on the bike and it was not part of the oem setup. I want to know if there is an inductive 6 volt 12,000 rpm analog tach that anyone knows of. I'm having a hard time sourcing one out so far. The only ones I've found are digital or cable driven.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I don't have an answer so I'm just guessing at a few ideas...

How about looking for something for an older 6v car? Like an early 60's VW Beetle. They had a ton of aftermarket stuff made for them at one time and were very popular to customize, so maybe that crowd would know about a 6v tach.

Maybe call VDO and ask if they still make anything in 6v?

Another place to call might be Retro Cycle in New Jersey.

Another place to call is JP Cycles metric tech line. They should know what's available from Midwest and all the metric aftermarket suppliers.

If they don't, hang up and call back on the Harley tech line and tell them you have a 1960 XL that you want to put a 6v tach on. They should know if there's anything available for the HD vintage crowd.

I wonder if a 12v tach would work if you changed out the light bulb in it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for all of those ideas. I'll be looking into those for sure. I was considering the vintage car tach as well, but I didn't know that VW was a good avenue . You peaked my interest in the 12 volt idea, if the sensing circuit isnt using battery voltage it's just might work. Most of the pictures of the tachs had 5 wires on the back. I'll find some diagrams of tachs and see what's common between them. Thank you again! This helped a lot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might even consider a DC to DC converter. 6v to 12v. But there will numbers to crunch. My charging system isn't really a power house and I'm not even sure of a typical wattage of a tach. If it were to work for the power supply, a 12v tach would work and everyone knows there's a ton of those around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts