Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go,again
I got this bike a year ago this past Christmas. Decided to do a resto for this past winter season,in spite of having started a couple others.(CB450, XL100)
This has been the most complicated resto i have attempted.
Have not posted for awhile ,juggling 3 at a time has kept me busy. Have been lurking ---reading Shreds stable is a must.
Bofud

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the folks not familiar with this model, some info:
This is the first year model Suzuki , 3 cylinder , 2 stroke ,water cooled sport tourer. At the time it was the largest displacement 2 stroke as a production bike. They were not a very green bike!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As can be seen in this photo the front brake is massive ,it had a double leading (four brake shoes) front brake. Lots of brake ,but by todays standards ,not that good. As can be seen , pretty dirty and neglected bike. This came from northern British Columbia about 600 miles north of my location. It had been under a tarp for the last 15 years without moving a tire,lots of rust on all surfaces.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems to me ,resto work consists of cleaning years of neglect . I would never let a bike get this bad . I think a little maintenance and they would never get into this condition.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is as you say Dods . There are only 2 parts missing -the rear grab rail and the mirrors. The parts are available but expensive!
The grab rail is no longer available from the dealer and a repop is around $300 US -mirrors not so bad. The sprocket area was a mess! Clean and more cleaning to do.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think the previous owners were interested in washing this machine.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Almost deconstructed .The frame and engine were very dirty. The frame really needed redoing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I first chemically stripped the paint. I found this to be a better paint job than the Z1and CB 400 . Then i bead blasted everything , before sending out for powder coat.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While waiting for the powder coated parts to come back,started on body parts and engine. The front brake plates were a chore .
Got them looking a whole lot better.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The wheels were messed up from sitting in the weather for such a long time. Removed the spokes and wire brushed them off,polished them and then cad plated them.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Very thorough work! :thumbsup:

Do you have a place nearby that offers cad plating or do you have to ship the parts off?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Metaldoc
No ,i do my plating in house. Sometimes i just need 1 or 2 parts done. By the time i send it away and wait for it to come back-i forget what it belonged too. Even the platers ,they want a whole bunch of stuff to do at once.
I bought the Caswell kit -simple ,somewhat cheep , handy if only a few parts to . Here is a photo of the finished product-good enough for the lady i spend my time with.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually started this engine before the deconstruction began. Got it to run after going to a lot of trouble to get spark. Started the carbs (Slides stuck in place)the floats were stuck to the bottom of the bowls. That old gas turns to a very thick varnish.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After soaking in pinesol (used carb cleaner first) turned out not to bad . I think they will function as carbs again.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is the right hand side generator cover. It is still available new ,but the 73 and up covers were not embossed ,they just have a decal applied, so i had to re do this item. I like as much original parts to go back on the machine as possible.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts