• Boy you have a lot to learn

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i just finished lacing these wheels. first time i have ever done it. it was pretty cool and not nearly as hard as i thought it would be. check out the pics. the rims are flat black powder coating, stainless steel spokes/nips and gloss black cast alum hubs. they are off my 1972 CB 550 i am working on right now. it is down to the frame with everthing off. i will keep this post alive with new updates as I finish things. Ah, paying dealership $50 ($25/ea) to true both!!! Priceless!

http://picasaweb.google.com/dwysywd/1972Honda/photo?authkey=RJ3C8-XJV6E#5166109822047447266
http://picasaweb.google.com/dwysywd/1972Honda/photo?authkey=RJ3C8-XJV6E#5166109830637381874

j

·
Registered
217 Posts
Post up some photos as you go along. The wheels are good but let's see the pile of parts or the bike you are starting with so that we can track your progress.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here are the updated photos

http://picasaweb.google.com/dwysywd/1972Honda?authkey=RJ3C8-XJV6E

So far, I have the wheels done - see pics, next the head has been decked and dipped with new exhaust valves as I write, the frame has been powered flat black, like the rims. They got fresh stainless spokes and blk gloss hubs (all orig). The front end is 1989 Hawk GT NT650 front end. So I upgraded the caliper. I just contacted a guy in jolly ol'England about a cafe racer seat. The pipes have been header coated flat-fleck black. The CB550 motor is being tuned up with new gaskets and fresh rings. The carbs have been hand rebuilt by me and a guy in NJ is syncing them for me in a month or so (when ever I mail them up!). The handle bars have been replaced with F2 41mm clip-ons. Only thing left to do is really start reassembly and paint the tank. I plan to install an electronic ignition on it when I am done. Oh, and the rubbers are Avon AM26 Roadriders.

I am attaching pics of the wheels and tires. MORE TO COME!!!!

History: I have owned the bike since I was 18 (32 now). I sold it to a buddy 5 years ago for $400 and just purchased it back 2 years ago for $100 from him... NOT RUNNING of course. I had restored it to stock before, so now I am going for personal flair. Looking forward to it being done.

i will keep this post alive with new updates as I finish things. Ah, paying dealership $50 ($25/ea) to true both!!! Priceless!

1st, buffalo trace whiskey, only time I mix bikes and whiskey!

2nd, I wasn't kidding, it really is hanging from the rafters. I need to buy a bike stand to work on this - anyone selling one?

3rd, Factory seat I recovered in vinyl 10 years ago, not sure if I am going to use this or buy a cafe seat from the limey, spots are just dirt that didn't come off when I spot cleaned it, a good cleaning will help

4th, Hawk GT NT650 front end, 41mm clip-ons off F2 CBR600 and triple is flat powdercoat black

5th, misc parts all powder coated flat black. I had my buddy walnut shell blast all the parts before I had them coated

Final, want to use this speedo instead of factory, it came out of a 41 Dodge Truck, but I don't know if there is any way to upconvert it for motorcycle use, any ideas? Looks really cool!

I will post updated pics next weekend as I get the rolling chassis together.

Jeff

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3 new pics

so, I haveSo, I have 3 really bad pictures so far! Have to clean up my work area and stuff!

I have mocked up the front end. I was able to mount the 88 Hawk front end - no probs. Also added a set of F2 Clipons.

NOW I HAVE A BIG PROB!!! The caliper will not attach! So, I am working on a custom solution to that right now... any ideas, share them.

Also, I have added Progressive brand Series 12 rear shocks. They come with cheezy plastic top caps, but they offered to send me some nicer black metal caps.

I am in need of a swing arm pivot bolt for a 1970s CB500/550 - I lost mine!

Here is the updated link.
http://picasaweb.google.com/dwysywd/1972Honda?authkey=RJ3C8-XJV6E

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATED PICS 3-23-2008

Hope you like... if anyone has any parts left over from another CB5XX build, let me know. I had to grind the steering blocks down a bit b/c of clearance with new front end and had to grind the set points on bottom of the F2 clipons.

And I found a solution to my lift problem, at least until I am ready to put the engine in. I have placed a 2X8 under the bike adn that was enough to clear the kickstand holder. I may put the center stand in just so I can install the engine and then take it out.

someone already questioned the tread direction, but here is my answer:great question, i checked directionality, there is an arrow on the tire and I paid the honda shop to mount it, their mess if it is wrong, but I believe that the tire is mounted correctly.

rebuild tip I have learned in the process of several builds: When you can't do something yourself, like mount/balance tires, I puchased the tires from the shop (they gave me a great deal and it was competitive with online costs after shipping), I paid them to mount and balance. This way if there ever is a problem like Trey's concern, I can ask them to fix it. They are more willing to ablige, or atleast humbled by their own mistake. I learned this lesson on my Hawk when I brought them the tires I bought online, and mounted by my buddy in his small shop. He didn't have the ability to balance single sided swing arm, so I went to my local Honda shop, and we discovered my buddy had mounted the directional tire wrong... I HAD TO PAY MORE MONEY TO HAVE THEM FIX IT!

Lesson learned!

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
These are great! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. In fact, just yesterday I read an old Peter Egan column in Cycle World about buying and building a 400F. He used to race a 550 4-cyl but bought this 400F for chump change and then put it together and was happy about the way it performed. Those older mid-sized Honda's were a hoot. Keep us posted. I, for one, am really anxious to see the finished product.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Black wheels are all the rage. For that matter colored wheels in general. I have seen a large increase in the amount of wheels and hubs (spokes even on the street stuff) being done. Nice job! Next time do not use walnut shells to do the blasting for powder coating. The walnut shells will remove coatings but they will not etch the surface which will create better anchor tooth for the coating. This means better chip resistance. Keep up the good work.
Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
to fellow 550 wrencher

hey im loving the bike so far. i am a fan of the black rims and front end. can't wait to see it on the road! looks a little closer to being roadworthy than my 550 LOL keep us posted with pics!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So, here we go again!

The latest: Got the rear swing off the donor CB and mounted mine PERMANT today! That was one monkey off my back, hmmm I just have 549 to go!

I put the race cowl on it to get an idea of what a track bike might look like. What do you all think? please post your comments on this link - http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=78858

As for the tank, only for fitting, have the real one in paint. Although the red is growning, will do on the track bike. This one is going to be matte finish black with a matte clear and 1 red horizontal pinstripe.

All photos have been updated on the picasa google pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/dwysywd/...ey=RJ3C8-XJV6E

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
The first bike I ever owned was a CB500, I was a junior in High School, 69 or 70 (can't remember). Bought it in the winter and had it painted in a fading blue flake before it ever hit the road, followed with crossover headers and 12" bars. I really loved that bike. Rode it to Florida the day I graduated and sold it my first year of college because I needed a car to get to school...NY - Snow.

Good times

Been riding ever since

1 - 20 of 40 Posts