Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1971 suzuki 90 enduro that seems to not be catching gears. I was riding down the road when it slowed down to a stop. When i crank it up(which it does easily) and try to go into first or any other gear it doesnt move but it also doesn't stall out when i release the clutch. I can hear the clicking when I change gears and dont know how to fix it. Please Help!

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
Sounds like the clutch is not engaging. Try this: engine stopped, put it in any gear and release the clutch lever, then try to push it. It should try to turn the engine over, but take a lot of push.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

Ive tried that but it didn't seem to do anything. I was messin around with the clutch cable and got it to where the bike would barely role forward in first but still stayed running when i released the clutch.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Either there is not enough free pay in the clutch cable (about 1/8 inch gap at the hinge portion of the clutch lever), the wrong oil was used last oil change, or the clutch is worn out.

If the oil hasn't been changed since it last worked properly, it's likely not the problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
clutch

Ive been trying attach the clutch cable down below but I dont seem to have enough slack, should Ijust try a new clutch cable, Or am i just hooking it up wrong?

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Depending on how it's designed, you usually have to lengthen the adjustment, attach the cable, then tighten the adjustment. There has to be a tiny bit of slack to work properly as mentioned above.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have it tightened as much as I can but it still aint enough, is it possible that the cord could have just messed up somehow. I checked the whole cord but i couldn't see anything wrong.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
You could try detaching it from the lever end first and see if that works better. Was this cable connected at one time on this motorcycle or was it from something else?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its been on the bike a long time I believe, I can not git the clutch cord back on the lever after taking it off and attaching it below.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I would double check the cable routing to make sure it is taking the shortest path possible without binding. Beyond that I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Honestly not completely sure, I just tinckerd with it for awhile, will be giting a new one for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts