Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I just moved up from a scooter to a CL100, and it's a lot of fun but the carb and throttle definitely need work. Hoping someone can help me start with the parts that make the most sense. Is there a better forum that makes sense for these questions?

First, throttle cable tension has been an issue and the throttle is not snapping back. I ordered a replacement cable from eBay for $13 just in case that was the fix, but adjusting the barrel out on the carb didn't take up all the slack. Should there be a spring or anything near the cable end in the throttle, that creates tension in the system? I can post pics of how the cable mounts.

Other info. The bike will only run with the choke open. I walk up to the bike when it's cold and flip the choke up open to start it. Whenever I try to lower the choke at all, the throttle bogs down. Where do you recommend I start in remedying this? I can get the bike up to about 45 and have only done a couple trips back and forth to work. I've needed to set my idle screw about a half to full turn from all the way closed, and it's generally either idling pretty high or it's dying. The air screw (I believe it's called) I've tended to have about two screws out.

If you're able to chat with me on the phone or directly by email, that would be a huge help! I'm located in Portland, OR, and if anyone lives near or knows a knowledgeable individual I could hire. Please let me know!:71baldboy:

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
It could be a clogged carb or an air leak causing a lean condition.

The throttle cables usually have adjusters on the carb end, but I'm not totally sure on that model. The return spring is usually part of the carb.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I have one of those little 100 bikes. The part most likely to be clogged is the slow jet. part # 99124-007-0380. The passage through that jet is so tiny that it would not clear. i tried a single strand of copper from an electrical cord after soaking in Berryman's Carb cleaner and still no luck.

You can buy a new one cheaply enough. I suggest these guys. their parts search feature gives the proper parts number whether or not that part is available, and they specialize in locating out of production parts.

https://2vsjs24r.endeavorsecure.com/cart.htm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies guys. The previous owner cleaned out the carb and I believe rebuilt most of it (saved all the carb kit pieces that didn't fit in a bag, which I have).

But any thoughts on how to tension the throttle cable? Is that only adjusted via the barrel on the carb? I just snagged the Clymer manual on eBay for $12 so I'm psyched!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies guys. The previous owner cleaned out the carb and I believe rebuilt most of it (saved all the carb kit pieces that didn't fit in a bag, which I have).

But any thoughts on how to tension the throttle cable? Is that only adjusted via the barrel on the carb? I just snagged the Clymer manual on eBay for $12 so I'm psyched!
I am pretty sure that the tension is supplied right at or in the carb. It is possible to get things in a bind when taking the thing apart. I will go out to the shop and examine a project bike and inform you in a bit...

·
Premium Member
8,938 Posts
Springy thingy.

The slide has a spring to push it down. The cable goes through the round threaded part, then the cap, then the spring and connects to the slide.
the spring goes inside the slide.
But foist, make sure the slide goes up and down easily, with no drag. Brasso or super fine wet and dry sandpaper will remove any crud or high spots. Then clean the bits and assemble. The twist grip end of the cable, should have an adjuster. Set it for a small amount of slack when the slide is at the bottom. 1/8 would be about the maximum slack.
As others have said, if it needs choke to run, usually it is the smallest jet that is blocked.

Unkle Krusty*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts