Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning. I have a 1971 CB 350 that is in running condition. My goal is to clean the bike up and make it presentable. I've started with the Carbs off. I am considering stripping the bike down to frame and having it repainted. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Types of cleaners, parts replacements, etc.

·
Registered
403 Posts
How many miles will go a long way to guessing how bad the cam chain tensioner is, what commonly brings them down if not exhaust valves. Do a compression check with carbs off.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Suggest you make it run good first, make it pretty afterwards. That way you know you are making a nice motorcycle to ride and not a still art project.
There was nothing pretty or even impressive about a 1971 CB350 frame that would make you want to show it off with expensive paint. They were made with recycled steel tubing that featured really ugly welds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike actually runs very well. It has about 7500 miles showing on the odometer. I would say it's definitely a rider, but I'd feel a whole lot better if were more presentable to the eye.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
The bike actually runs very well. It has about 7500 miles showing on the odometer. I would say it's definitely a rider, but I'd feel a whole lot better if were more presentable to the eye.
When you ride by I'm going to notice your engine, the brakes, the suspension and that's about it unless you are parked. The frame I am not going to notice one bit unless you paint it something other then black and then I might recognize it as a repainted ugly steel tube frame. The showpiece of an old CB350 was the pretty engine and the 350-4 cylinder CB had an even prettier engine.

Form follows function, you build a functional old motorcycle and I'm going to notice that from a mile away.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I'm currently doing this. Theres not much to the bike and so many new, cheap, reproduction parts are available that you can really make the whole bike look new. Check out www.cognitomoto.com if you haven't already.

I DIY'd the paint work. The frame and the other small chassis bits were very easy to paint with perfect results. I wouldn't want to pay too much to a pro for that. The tank and air cleaner covers are a different story. But with some basic painting equipment you can get really good results, likely at a fraction of the cost of the pros.

You also need a bench grinder with a buffing wheel on it and the mothers aluminum polish for the aluminum parts. Wet sand on badly pitted aluminum and maybe some rusted chrome with like 600+ grit, then buff and it might come back. I thought my fork ears were way too rusted and they came out almost new after a wetsand and buff.

Also you might want to grab a cheap vibratory tumbler from Harbor-Freight to clean up all the nuts and bolts.

Glasses Table Wood Eyewear Crankset

1 - 9 of 9 Posts