Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm trying to put a power dynamo electrical ignition on this bike but am having trouble taking the old electrical off of the bike and having problems with the magnito i was wondering if you guys had any ideas on removing it im lost and need ideas i have tried a puller and a push bolt but can't think of anything else to try thanks for your time...

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Sometimes but not always, assuming you have the correct puller. Liquid wrench and patience, heat and a big headed short handled hammer.
It has been a while since I removed that sort of thing from the end of a crank. A couple of guys here are still working on bikes, other than their own. they may have ideas.
I have electronic ignition on my 41 Ford tractor. Sweet.
Suzuki used to have a nice screw in the plug hole, dial gauge for setting the timing. 3.54 mm BTDC on the Kawasaki if I remember correctly.

UK

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just recently removed mine, T500M 1974, two arm puller tighten lots, and a good wack with a heavy hammer. scary bang but it came off, I've installed a powerdynamo set and forget .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
timing

was wondering what timing you set it at with the power dynamo

Just recently removed mine, T500M 1974, two arm puller tighten lots, and a good wack with a heavy hammer. scary bang but it came off, I've installed a powerdynamo set and forget .

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know if it is the same as the T20 but if it is then you might try using something an expert on these showed me. I suspect it should be the same, as the PowerDynamo kit is the same one for your bike as mine.

You use the rear wheel bolt as the puller - remove the bolt from the rear wheel and then just screw into the magneto, hold the magneto from turning, and keep screwing until it pops loose. If it is tight I would use a lump hammer on the wrench you're using on the bolt, to jar it into turning. I wouldn't want to use a hammer direct on the magneto in case you want to reinstall it sometime.

I used one of these for setting the timing on the PowerDynamo - very easy to use and it fits in easily. There was no room to fit a dial gauge in.

The bike runs much better with the PowerDynamo but a downside is that some nice LED indicator/daytime running lights I bought for the bike won't work with this system. The output voltage seems to be too variable for LEDs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was going to say the same about the rear bolt! I've used that in the past, worked great! so did you get the new ignition installed? what are your thoughts? I'll be doing the same very soon, I'm sad to hear about the LED lights issue< sick of these ****ty halogen lights... is there a work around to control the voltage? I thought i heard of something like that for led's..

·
Registered
30 Posts
The PowerDynamo system is great in terms of starting and running the bike. Starting is easier, idling is more positive, and it pulls much better especially at full throttle.

The LED issue is a pain as I found some really nice LEDsin a chrome classic classic style which combine DRL and indicators at the front, and stop/tail/indicators at the rear.
They work great with the engine off but not with the bike running. I have tried in-line resistors and an additional voltage control unit between the battery and the lights but no success so far.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow okay! Thanks so much for the info! I'll ask around to see if anyone else has found a work around! It sounds like you tried everything within reason but I'll get back to you if I find anything.... ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I got all the kinks out for now she is running great some small tweeking left but I am running an new bulb in an later model headlight I had to mod the headlight to tak a modern bulb but it works great... I'll post more if anyone has any questions or if I have any updates thanks everyone for your help on here...

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts