Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Nice bike! They're a whole lot of fun to rebuild, and they're just as fun to ride. After your first, you're going to want more. And more.. And more...

I've found myself a stock carburetor for my little Honda, but the little sucker started leaking everywhere through a cavity in the bowl. I found some JB weld gas tank repair putty and put it on there. That's that. But now the gas takes ages to get into the bowl, and the revs are... Jumpy? Does that make sense?

· "Young Grasshopper"
281 Posts
Nice bike! They're a whole lot of fun to rebuild, and they're just as fun to ride. After your first, you're going to want more. And more.. And more...

I've found myself a stock carburetor for my little Honda, but the little sucker started leaking everywhere through a cavity in the bowl. I found some JB weld gas tank repair putty and put it on there. That's that. But now the gas takes ages to get into the bowl, and the revs are... Jumpy? Does that make sense?
Have you checked the floats? I would also look into the timing.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The floats are fine, I tested them out. The carb had obviously been sitting with ethanol in if for a long time, there are cavities all inside the bottom of the bowl, and there seems to be gunk stuck in the pores the gasoline has to travel through to get to the bowl. It'll just take some cleaning and reworking to get her to run right.. Hopefully. Could I braze the cavities in the bowl to prevent any more leaking?

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yes, I've got it running pretty good. I figured out the aftermarket carb, bought an original carb, rebuilt it, and proceeded to strip the filter screw off the bowl. ):

So I put the PZ19 back on and found out that I... um... had the cam timing off a tooth... You can't blame me, I was told to set the timing by the guy at the motorcycle shop here in town by making the mark on the sprocket line up with the idler wheel screw in top dead center. I consulted the good book and found that there is a mark in the head that shows where to set the sprocket, which made the bike run twice as good as it did before.

Now I've gone to dratv and ordered some knobbies, a .010 overbore piston kit(the bore has some sweet grooves in it), valve guide seals(still smokes white), and I broke down and got their torque cam. I figured I would try it and tell you guys what I think, and if its worth it. Besides, it's windy where I live. The bike needs a little more push to get through those daily 40-60 mph winds.

So yes, it's running great. I just need to fix the stinking lights. Afterwords, I can focus on my t-bucket and the Benly.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Man I just wanted to let you know that you got a steal I was offered $1500 for mine today but there was no question about keeping him
Yeah. Without Honda importing them to the U.S., the value is only going to go up. That, and these bikes are just way too fun to tinker with to get rid of. I couldn't bring myself to do it. I get two or three offers every time I ride around town, they're really popular and rare here, haha.

· Registered
2,370 Posts
The floats are fine, I tested them out. The carb had obviously been sitting with ethanol in if for a long time, there are cavities all inside the bottom of the bowl, and there seems to be gunk stuck in the pores the gasoline has to travel through to get to the bowl. It'll just take some cleaning and reworking to get her to run right.. Hopefully. Could I braze the cavities in the bowl to prevent any more leaking?
I did as you did and used jB weld on a cavity eaten through the bowl. I had leaking floats as well and used a light bulb to force out the fluid--The light bulb heated the air inside the float and the expanding air forced out the old gunk.

I used tank liner on the bowl and the floats. The JB Weld is nearly invisible from the outside of the float and the tank liner is 'free' to me as a leftover,so lining the bowls is an easy decision.

Pine Sol or the Dollar store equivalent will probably cut most of the gunk out of your carb passages, especially if you use a crock pot set on 'low' to keep the stuff heated. I cut my Pine Sol 1:1 with water and it works very well.

My neighbor has a very nice bike like yours that belonged to his wife.
RIP Pam...

· Registered
18 Posts
or the Dollar store equivalent will probably cut most of the gunk out of your carb passages,
I tried the dollar store equiv. and it didn't work anywhere near as good a the real stuff but I did not use a crockpot. I save it afterwards and tried using it to clean some oily frame areas. Dish soap works better that dollar store pin sol

21 - 40 of 50 Posts