Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people,

I just bought my first bike on craigslist, a 1967 Yamaha ycs180. When I got it it was running fine and the previous owner had done a complete cleaning of apparently, but I was unhappy with the feel of the clutch. I only reached the friction zone very close to the end of releasing, and it just didn't feel very smooth. I decided to fiddle with the cable adjusters a little which might have been a bad idea because now the clutch will not disengage even when the tube is at it's max length. I read that if a motorcycle is not ridden that much then the clutch plate might stick, and that I should maybe roll the bike while in 1st to get it to disengage, then start up the bike in neutral and let it warm up for sometime before engaging the transmission. And also maybe I should get new transmission oil? What kind would you recommend for an old two stroke like this?

How would you suggest going about getting my clutch perfectly tuned? Do you start by loosening the cable completely? Are all of the ideas I mentioned good ones? I'm a little bit bummed as I've only had the bike for two days and now I can't even ride. Thanks in advance for your help!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts