Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 1966 Suzuki T20 X6 Hustler gem a few weeks ago at an estate sale. There wasn't too much information available form the estate sale company about the bike. All they knew was that it has been sitting in the garage for a long time and was "froze up", and had very old gas in the tank. The bike had a 1970's Michigan license plate so it had been legally off the road since then.

I don't think I walked more than two feet out the door before I turned back to purchase the bike. The price was good, and I was two in love with the bike to wait for a phone call to see if it was a good investment or not...guess when you are driving a borrowed pickup truck it makes the decision to purchase a non running bike easier.

The next day the estate sale company called to say they found an envelope with a bunch of bike things - keys and more keys, original owners manual, service punch cards, warranty, title form 1966, tank badges...

Amazingly the bike is a time capsule, everything is there and intact! :)
Needs a good scrub down and a bit of TLC but I plan on keeping her stock.

While de-gunkifying the carb unfortunately a needle jet broke :(

Wanted: Mikuni "Needle Jet", Series 126 size N-6

PHOTOS COMING SOON

·
Registered
411 Posts
I, for one, will be following this.
I had the same bike in 1968-69 and loved it. It was my first ride.
Mine was red and white.

Friends with four-strokes used to tease me with, "Ring-a-ding-ding", until they tried to catch me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'll definitely be following this! Ever since I heard more than 30 years ago this bike had been captured on radar at an honest 101mph top speed I was intrigued. It can definitely be considered the first real giant killer, and it's also the very first bike to ever have a 6-speed transmission.

Out of all the very expensive and exotic bikes he owns, Jay Leno counts the '66 X-6 as one of his all time favorites; the bike he lusted after as a 15 year old.
Here's an amusing and informative link to a video and story he did about his own:

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/motorcycles-1/suzuki/1966-suzuki-x6-hustler/index.shtml#item=84938

I also have the same bike I'm waiting to restore. I finally found one the autumn after the summer I had reconstructive surgery on my thumb and couldn't ride. I bought it partly to console myself for not being able to ride that summer.

I look forward to seeing pics of yours, and hopefully hearing audio if you do a video of it running. I hope I'll have the $$$ to do a frame-up restoration on mine in the next few years! Here's how it sits now:

·
Registered
57 Posts
While de-gunkifying the carb unfortunately a needle jet broke :(
Wanted: Mikuni "Needle Jet", Series 126 size N-6
Jeanine,
I just tried to look up in my Sudco/Mikuni tuning manual to check for that series needle jet, but it's not listed. There is another series (159) showing a size N-6, but I don't know what differences might be or what carb it's from.

I haven't torn mine apart or even looked at if for months but for now I'm assuming it's a VM type round slide carb. You might want to call Sudco and see if they can help:

Here's a link to a Sudco page with a contact phone no. at the bottom:

http://www.sudco.com/Carburetor02.html

Good luck!

·
Six-String Jockey
1,859 Posts
WISE choice to turn around, go back in, and buy it! I have a 1972 250 Hustler . . . love it, love it, LOVE IT! I can't wait until you get enough posts to put some photos in. Lucky person . . .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quicklimegirl, your bike looks LOVELY! Mine looks a little rough and not so shiny...but its all there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The day she came home...

The pipes on the bike are not original, but I do have the original pipes, and an extra front fender (with minimal damage). The were both replaced/swapped out early in the bikes life since it was only on the road form 1966-70.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well you do have some work ahead of you, but one thing you DO have is the very rare air pump, that's a bonus.

As to mine, it's not quite as nice as it looks there. Both fenders have a lot of damage, as the previous owner tried to "hammer out" some dents and made them far worse. I plan on getting some body shaping tools from Eastwood Company and trying to fix those issues. Also, I have some oxidation that occurred on the engine case/cylinder surfaces when I had an unresolved moisture issue in the shop I built last year, before I was able to insulate and heat it.

I want to do a total frame up restoration and it will probably require, at the least, $1500+ in parts, and some labor I might farm out. Normally I rebuild 2-strokes myself (lots of experience with Yamaha RD models) but this is totally different, and I have a local machinist who I will turn to. Right now my financial situation will not allow me to begin on it for at least a year or two, but it should be worth waiting for.

At least I have plenty of other bikes to ride in the meantime, though I cannot ride right now. Kind of down for the count, I have a bulging disk at L2/L3 because I did too much finish work on the shop myself, including hanging sheet rock and some other tough stuff. Not exactly smart for a nearly 55 year old woman in pretty poor shape to begin with. I think I learned my lesson, and hope I'll be able to ride in another month or two.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TLC is needed!!! Oh yeah, that air pump is super cute! :) I also have the S emblems for the tank, owners guide, service punch cards, warranty, and title form 66.

Quicklimegirl: I'm sorry you are unable to ride, I hope you rest up and are back on your feet soon! As I live in Michigan (last week is was in the 60s, and now its back to 14) I am a non-rider for the winter months.

I do not plan to do a full restoration...yet. I have a few cars in line ahead of the bike. I plan to get her running and cleaned up.

The candy apple red paint on the front forks is starting to fade to the gold under painting in spots and it look a bit odd, and I hate to think of the re-chrome price tag!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks - I'm sure the blinkers are aftermarket, but I have never seen any like that before and plan to keep them on the bike. The original receipt has a helmet and side mirror listed, but nothing about the bullet blinkers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh that's great news! I have only seen photos of bikes without blinkers - I figured they were the same vintage as the bike...same as the sissy bar/luggage rack.

now to find that darn needle jet! :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Jeanine,
Although this site is UK-based, they may have some info to help you track down your needle jet:

http://www.t20suzuki.com/

I tried looking through the ads in some of my vintage magazines, but I haven't seen anything Suzuki-specific. But I'll keep an eye out for any sources.

I have to say also, those blinkers are uber-cool. Despite your bike being cosmetically challenged, to have both those and the air pump is a major plus. I'd LOVE to have, or find a set of those period blinkers.

If you EVER want to sell them, please let me know!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quicklimegrl - you will be the first to know :)

motohorseman: LOL - no, I have the sissy bar/rack, but it has been removed since I was told it was "un-cool" (I like it and think its cute) see photo above with out sissy bar/rack.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Jeannine,
C'mon! That's too cool of a restoration project to leave us in a lurch. What's happening with the Suzuki?
Yes, please let us know if and when you are starting on it. Any sources you come across for parts, please share...and I'll do the same, as I always look for new ads in the classic bike magazine I subscribe to. I wish I could start on the X6 but it will take at least another year or more.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Jeannine, I also like the looks of the back rest/luggage rack--sissy bar on the original picture you posted. It sets your bike apart and makes it look different. Put it back on...if you want to...it's your bike. The only one that has to like it is you...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL - sorry its been a bit crazy around here (foster dogs and abandoned puppies).

SHE'S ALIVE!!!

A friend in Chicago, who is working on the bike (the same guy that broke the part in the first place - lol), located the broken part; apparently the needle jet is called different things depending on who you talk to!

So the bike runs :) The fuel tank still needs to be cleaned out - fun! I will be picking up the bike and bringing her back to Detroit next Monday. Doing some quick clean up and entering her as a "barn find" into the Autorama Extreme car show March 8-10!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh, I was able to find (on ebay) NOS shocks and decals for the oil tank. Picked up an extra headlight (plan to modernize/upgrade it) and some fork springs.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts