Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening, folks! Here is a picture of my next restoration project, but I am hoping to get some help with identifying it with certainty, since I got it at auction from a company that cleans out estates and abandoned storage units. It has no title of course. Vin# S65AA007153 (on the frame). I am already searching for parts, and have found some nice looking engine rehab kits, but they seem to vary so much in the models they fit, that I feel I had better be sure what I am buying for, or I will be in for a lot of return postage. I already have a manual on the way, but again, it covers a number of models.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's a killer bike man. Your hubs look pretty similar to mine. Although they probably won't be completely locked up like mine were.

Keep the pics and updates coming. I'd love to see this thing torn apart and rebuilt.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, first update! This bike was in a flood. As I proceeded to removed the head, WATER poured out. Then a few other obvious clues came to light, the way the exhaust was rusted through and clogged with crap, etc.

Now, the good news. Got my crankcase halves from the junkyard in Wisconsin, they look REALLY good, and have the bearings, which also look and feel like new. Got a cylinder head rebuild kit from (gulp) Ebay, but it looks very nice, has the valves, a new piston, rings, etc, and replaces everything from the crankcase up, except the timing chain guide wheel and cam sprocket. I was leery about buying this kit, but it looks very nice. Also, it's a 72cc head, 9cc more than the original. This is a problem, because the new piston sleeve JUST doesn't quite slide into the case, bit with about 3 minutes of light grinding, I'm sure it will.

My main issue now is that the piston in the old cylinder is absolutely fused in place, I cannot get it to budge, which I must do since I need the rod, crank and tranny gears. Ugh. Got it soaking in PB blaster, but I may load it with vinegar and wait a week after seeing how that dissolved the rust from my chrome.

As if that isn't enough, I'm going to look at an 80's Honda Silverwing plus parts bike today, $600 for both. If it's even in B+condition, I'm taking it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't soak the head in vinegar if its aluminum. I've read the vinegar can damage aluminum. I don't know for sure from my own experience, but I haven't tried anything aluminum in vinegar, just to be safe.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know that the head is some kind of alloy, but the sleeve may be just plain steel, based on how completely crusted it is with rust. Oddly, the cam chain, camshaft, and rockers are clean and move freely, yet the piston and valves are totally seized. I am considering withdrawing the 4 long rods and twisting the cylinder around the piston to break it loose, but I am afraid I will damage the connecting rod/bearing, and possibly the crankshaft itself, all parts that I will need. Or I'll take a die grinder and cut the cylinder down the sides, I have a new crankcase, so I'm not worried about damaging the old one, in any case, (no pun intended) it has a chunk missing from one side and would be useless anyhow. I may end up just building a whole new engine, I'm halfway there. I'll be in Arizona for a week, so maybe I'll surf the webs for local parts while I'm here...

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,300 Posts
Put some penetrating oil down the cylinder and let it sit a day or so and then see if you can break it loose.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, that's kind of what I'm doing now, I have the engine propped upright and I filled the cylinder with PB blaster. After a day or two, there was no discernible drop in the fluid level, but since I'll be out of town for a week, I topped it off with more and left it. There is literally a lump of solid rust above the piston on the cylinder wall about 3mm deep. It's going to take some force, regardless, but maybe if I can find a rod and crankshaft, I won't have to worry about wrecking the old ones. A friend also suggested transmission fluid (?) My last resort is going to be suspending the whole mess from the rafters by the cylinder and torching the head till the crankcase and piston falls out, but I'll probably just burn my house down doing that.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, update time: After 2 weeks of being immersed in PB Blaster, the piston is going nowhere. I've never seen such a severe case of rust weld. What are my odds of finding a usable transmission set for this thing, as well as a rod and crankshaft? I have a new clutch, head, piston and crankcase, really just need a tranny if I can't get the old case apart without high explosives. :p

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, here is the engine on the operating table. Turkey roast pans are great if you have to do this inside. The piston is hopelessly seized in the cylinder, but no matter, I have a new piston, crank and rod ready to go. Just got the clutch off, thanks to my home made spanner socket, visible on the left. Who wants to wait a week and blow 20 beans on a tool you can make with an electric drill and a $3 cut off wheel? The new case halves can be seen in the upper left corner, $44 from "mistermonkeyclaw" on eBay. I'm really hoping that the transmission is intact when I get this split, but this bike obviously sat in water for a while, I may be in for an entire new motor...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Here is the exploded engine, getting ready to be cleaned and reassembled. Got an entirely new cylinder head assembly, complete with cam, rockers, piston, rings, gudgeon pin and all gaskets. Brings it from a 63cc up to 72. The sleeve is a tiny bit larger, but a little grinding and she'll go. The transmission was intact and functional, as is the kickstarter assembly. After polishing the case halves, I will fabricate a new gasket for it, and the oil pump. Also got a new clutch and drive gear, new brake shoes, air filter and the elusive matching color side cover with NO CRACKS! Still hung fire for an ignition/generator, the old system is completely shot, having been in water and abused by the former owner (or his mechanic. Hammer blow scars are clearly visible on the rotor. Although this bike is commonly lumped in with the S90 and the CM90, there are distinct differences in the engines, especially concerning the ingnition/generator. I may have to buy from overseas at quite a premium, possibly over $400...ugh.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Now that looks like something I would have one little bitty part left over after reassembling. I did when I overhauled a 62 Cadillac. I had one bolt left over and I'll be darned if I could figure out where. I put another 110,000 miles on it so it obviously didn't need it.:D

I honestly think my neighbor who was a GM mechanic and was who told me everything thing to do and how, put that bolt there for me to find in the end and scratch my head about.

I never asked him though. I figured he'd ask at some point if he did it as a joke. He never did.:confused:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, this is no Caddy, but I did have a couple brackets leftover after my initial re-assembly. :p Figured them out thanks to a few photos I (thankfully) took as I tore it down. Finally got it all together yesterday, new clutch and all, and things seem to be fitting nicely. IMPORTANT NOTE: For anyone who may be reading this because they are also rebuilding this motor, the small screw in the splined end of the oil pump drive shaft is REVERSE thread. I almost ruined this screw before I finally figured that out, and it is a special shape on top of being reverse thread. This is why I never turn a bolt without the shop manual in hand, but I have had a hard time locating one specific to the S65, the one I did get does not go into sufficient detail for an engine overhaul.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quick update: I found my electronic CDI ignition! $140 on Ebay from Thailand. Uses the factory coil and rotor. I just ordered it, so I will report back when I receive it and have a better idea of the quality level. Also got a brand new clutch and primary drive gear for just $25! I've had the engine together and apart about 5 times by now, everything seems to be fitting quite nicely for a mess of parts consisting of two salvaged engines and a few aftermarket Ebay grabs...

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
I overhauled a 62 Cadillac. I had one bolt left over and I'll be darned if I could figure out where.

I honestly think my neighbor who was a GM mechanic ... put that bolt there for me to find
A buddy was working on an import the transmission of which had 8 of these unique, shouldered allen bolts. Something you couldn't confuse with any other bolt on the car. A guy who SWORE he NEVER had parts left over.

Since I was headed to the salvage yard that day I picked up a 9th.

We tried like hell to see where he buried it in his toolbox, checked his trash can, the leftover bolt can, everything. We were going to give it to him on top of his birthday cake. Never found it.

Like you, I'm sure he's still wondering.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, that's cold...sounds like something I would do. He probably put it in his trunk, waited for a dark stormy night, drove to a bridge over a river and threw it in....

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update time! Engine is all together, new clutch, drive gears, CDI ignition, head, piston, rings, crank, case halves, hand-cut gaskets, cam, cam sprocket, rockers, valves and a kitchen sink. No, wait, everything BUT the kitchen sink. Also got feeling saucy and splurged on chrome plated bolts for the case and covers. Nearly $100 for that, btw. Frame is stripped, primed, painted and clearcoated. Doing a flip flop on the paint job, what was black will now be silver, and vice versa. Working on the tank tonight, which is miraculously clean inside!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Best gasket set for engine resto project?

Refurbishing leaky seals on my 1965 Honda S65. So I need a gasket set also. Bit leary of aging NOS. So my search led me to eBay. There are several sets to choose from and am looking for any advice which could help me choose. NE Brand Super Gasket, Superior Gasket, NOBORU and SKY Gasket. The SKY gaskets contain asbestos and are silicone impregnated. I'm thinking - can't get much better than asbestos, so right now I'm leaning twards this set.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I usually shop for gaskets more on price and completeness than brand. I figure whatever I get is going to be in way better shape than what I'm starting with.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts