Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a 1965 Honda Benly Dream 150cc and am having problems getting her started. I am in the process of replacing the battery but still having issues kickstarting. Engine has compression, first kick sounds good, then nada. Putting gas straight into carburetor while replacing the rusted out gas tank. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright so I've been doing some reading on other threads here and it seems that with this bike it needs the battery to start, is that correct? Sorry for the seemly easy questions but first bike and I know zero about bikes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you know 0 about bikes, why not at least get a copy of the service manual? $10 seems like it is cheap compared to the time you will spend otherwise.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
It will need a lot more than a battery to get it started. Yes, it will need a battery, and it will need all the fuel lines replaced and the carbs rebuilt, or replaced. Then the engine will no doubt need some work and cleaning out, if not disassembled just to see if it will be good enough to bother with. I am going to guess that you are going to need some professional help to get this going, but if the engine is still top end rebuildable, you may have a very nice piece of history.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I downloaded a manual a couple days ago and am reading through it.

The bike itself doesn't look to be in that bad of shape. I've been cleaning the carb today and its not too bad at all. very little gunky, definitely changing the air filter and checking lines is on the list today.

The point is try and do it myself and learn so I won't seek professional help until that point comes.

THanks

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Good luck with it. I hope you get it all fixed up. I know that most parts are still available, so you should be able to get it going.

Just a note from my experience though, even after working on bikes for 50 years, I still seek the advice and know how of professionals. Nothing to be ashamed of in my book.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely getting advice from professionals and hopefully from here , just not wanting to drop it off somewhere and say fix it for me. :)

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
Anything rubber will probably need replaced. You would be very lucky if just a little carb cleaning and a battery works. It's just highly unlikely. I'd worry about a mouse nest in the muffler too. Time abandoned is not good for machines. I do hope you are lucky though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts