Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Heres some pics of a '64 Yamaha YJ1 that was sitting at grandma's for 40 years. 60cc 2-stroke. Tops out at 45 I think or maybe 55, hard to find info on it but found a couple guys online that have restored the same cycle.

Will post pictures when I reach the 15 post minimum for posting pictures...

I think this thing would be really fun to restore. What do you think? I am competent with 2-strokes and found parts for sale online. Don't think it would be incredibly expensive to at least get running.
This would be my first motorcycle by the way. Not very fast, dad says he remembers a dog chasing him up a hill with his girlfriend on the back and it was catching up to them. Perfect for getting around town on the back roads to go fishing or to the store.

Thanks for reading

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Sounds like a really interesting project, GerGa! I look forward to seeing the updates and photos!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok the part I left out is my idiot cousin took it. Was livid when I heard. He doesn't have the knowledge or skills to fix it, so I thought I might get it back. I just heard there might be help to fix it so I dont think I'm getting it back, but theres a lot involved like gas lines, carb, rust in fuel tank.
Would post pics but need more posts on here to post pics.

I am currently looking for a replacement for this dream. Something on the more economical side for riding, since I'm not getting anything for free on craigslist. 4 stroke would be more convenient.

I that Honda CB's are good old bikes to look for from 70's, 80's. Reliable. What do you guys think? I'd go for a little cb125 if the right one came along, or a 350. Just saw a cb350, 700 mile odometer, for 1200 on craigslist! Sold in 3 days. Seller said was running well with rebuilt carbs, looked brand new. Thats a deal right?

I like older bikes, but are they practical and economical? Atleast in the right condition and price? I am open to suggestion on little bikes.

Ps. Will post pics of the Yamaha with enough post count

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Wow, sorry your project fell through like that.

Regarding older bikes, I build and ride exclusively older stuff, mostly Honda bikes from the 70s and 80s, but some others too. A lot depends on the specific bike, how it was stored or taken care of. I think it's a fantastic way to go IF YOU WANT THE EXPERIENCE OF WORKING ON THE BIKE. Sounds like you do. Right now I have two 80s Goldwings, both of which I would ride anywhere - very reliable bikes. But, I carry tools with me because they are 30+ years old (almost never need them, though.) I do a lot of maintenance to keep them reliable though.

Economical, ya, mostly. You have to replace some parts here and there, but eBay is a good source for used stuff. A lot of Honda stuff is still available. We have one or two good salvage yards around here, too. Some of the 70s Honda bikes are getting a pit expensive to get a hold of now - some folks are starting to collect them, but you can still find some bargains. 80s are pretty inexpensive.

That's my opinion anyway. Turning wrenches is half the fun!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well my relative has the bike running now. It went up and down the street and now it won't run more than 10 seconds. Starts only with choke and shuts down when the choke is turned off. Tried everything, giving it gas etc. But it won't run. Sounds like it's flooding.

On another note, a friend of mine knows where there are couple old Hondas sitting in a basement . Have a thread on it. I think I am going to pick those up hopefully have a nice little project.

·
Registered
328 Posts
First, bet your cuz $100 vs the bike that you can get it running better in one hour. Then do this: I bet ya a sixer that there's fuel crud shellac in the lines and the carb. My 30 year sitter did just that, ran one day, then would not start. Once I got it running with a brand new carb, it ran great, but then bogged real bad when given gas, took the carb apart, and after less than a gallon of gas ran through, the fuel filter, petcock channels, pilot and main jets were all gunked up, and a nice amber fuel shellac was all over the inside of the carb. I HAD cleaned the tank thoroughly, but not enough. If it's not running with choke off, it's not getting enough gas. This means the idle jet and main jet are constricted. When you give it throttle, it's getting more air and not enough gas, hence the stalling. Clean that carb really good, put sea foam in the tank, and I bet she'll purr...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First, bet your cuz $100 vs the bike that you can get it running better in one hour. Then do this: I bet ya a sixer that there's fuel crud shellac in the lines and the carb. My 30 year sitter did just that, ran one day, then would not start. Once I got it running with a brand new carb, it ran great, but then bogged real bad when given gas, took the carb apart, and after less than a gallon of gas ran through, the fuel filter, petcock channels, pilot and main jets were all gunked up, and a nice amber fuel shellac was all over the inside of the carb. I HAD cleaned the tank thoroughly, but not enough. If it's not running with choke off, it's not getting enough gas. This means the idle jet and main jet are constricted. When you give it throttle, it's getting more air and not enough gas, hence the stalling. Clean that carb really good, put sea foam in the tank, and I bet she'll purr...
Haha, I don't think I'll get the bike..you don't want to know how much money was dropped on a mechanic to get it running. :rolleyes:
But I'll take the advice for my next classic bike! Getting really eager for a bike reading about people's rides.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts