Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a 80cc 2 stroke be safe to ride on the street and just putting around town? No freeway use of course, and could it cruise at around 45? I am looking for a project and i don't want to put time and money into a bike that I wouldn't be able to ride around town in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, it is a 1964 yamaha yg1 and looks like a awesome bike :).

·
Registered
110 Posts
In1965, I bought a brand new YG-1K, 80cc, 2 stroke Yamaha, 4speed. I believe that year was the first for "InjectaLube". A separate oil tank was used to inject 2 cycle oil into the engine depending on the rpm. No mixing of gas and oil. It would easily run 50 to 55 mph in 4th gear with one person but it was really stroking at that speed. Not sure I would run for long periods at that speed. The 1964 bike needed a gas and oil mixture in the tank.

·
Veteran Member
3,239 Posts
That bike would make an excellent small city bike or lazy back road cruiser. My uncle has an old 1960s model Harley M50S. It is a 50cc bike made for Harley by Italian company Aermacch. He rides it quite a bit on back roads around his home, and even runs small errands on it. It will run 35 to 40 no problem, and can peak out around 45. So I say go for it. Fix that old Yamaha up and have some fun with it. You gotta think of it more as a moped than a motorcycle. And you see mopeds everywhere. It has similar speed and power as moped, but will be infinitely more cool to ride.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would look for something around 100cCCs I had a Honda CL100 and it was alright for what you're talking about. A 125 to 200 would be perfect for that. Granted you don't weight 300Lbs. Of course all of these are 4 strokes not 2's so the power ratios are a little different.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
You should be fine, just as long as you realize that it ain't got the nuts to get you out of trouble, so situational awareness will be critical. Even more so than when on a full size bike.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Sounds like it would be a blast to ride....I think you will be fine around town and putting around on the back roads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought one new back in 1994 - the first Yamaha road bike in Victoria. I checked the gas mileage with every fill up (I was a kid!) and always got just shy of 200 mpg (166 mpUSgallon) driving pretty well flat out all the time.
The only was to get up to highway speeds was by drafting a truck, otherwise 50 mph was about it.
Every weekend I took the head off and polished the top of the piston and inside of the combustion chamber. This made a discernible difference in power and only took around ten minutes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts