Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum hoping to get some help with my recently aquired from a good friend. The bike from my knowledge is a 1964 yg1. When I got the bike I could get it to fire up but not stay running. After some time it ran decent and that was the last time it started. Since then I have replaced the ignition, stator ingitoin cool, and battery.

I found out that if when i go to kick the bike to start it and turn the key at the same time I could get the bike to produce one single spark. But that is all.
Does any one know what the problem could be with my bike?

Thanks in advance,
Nick

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
I am new to the forum hoping to get some help with my recently aquired from a good friend. The bike from my knowledge is a 1964 yg1. When I got the bike I could get it to fire up but not stay running. After some time it ran decent and that was the last time it started. Since then I have replaced the ignition, stator ingitoin cool, and battery.

I found out that if when i go to kick the bike to start it and turn the key at the same time I could get the bike to produce one single spark. But that is all.
Does any one know what the problem could be with my bike?

Thanks in advance,
Nick
From the sounds of it, I would first check all your grounds having to do with your ignition system. Also, check the condition of the wiring. The bike is 50+ years old, after all.

Good luck with this project, and I hope to see positive updates on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally figure that it was the point. The brass pics on it was completely missing. I replaced it and the bike runs like 1964. Unbelievable. Glad to see it running as my friend who is not here with us anymore would be dancing with joy. Now to get it back to looking like new.

Thanks all for the help

Attachments

·
Vintage Rider
420 Posts
Looks like it's a very complete bike. Are you sure it's a YG1, cause it looks like a YJ1 55cc bike from '64. Check the frame number to see if it begins with Y22, if so it is a YJ1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have known it was a yj1 but I guess I wasn't sure when I wrote this post. Thanks for the help guys. I want to get it painted but not sure where to go yet, I do want to match the original Paint. I have been purchasing original Yamaha parts off eBay which is convenient.

Recently I realized the bike drips oil out of the case when the bike is warmed up. Any suggestions on oil section? Don't know if I want to break into the engine because it runs phenomenal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts