Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first powered transportation was a Honda 50 in 1964 in southern Ontario and I LOVED my little 50. For practical reasons, I had to trade it for a 305 Superhawk a year later to safely travel highway speeds but I never lost my love of the 50. In my 30s I had a Harley for awhile but later sold it for financial reasons (ridiculously high insurance rates) and was bike-less for 20 years.

Earlier this week I picked up a 1962 Honda 50 for a song. It runs like a top but needs a lot of cosmetic work and the wiring is a mess.

I don't know what happened to the wiring behind the battery box (inside the frame) but many wires were abraded and some completely cut through - as if something heavy had been sliding around beating the crap out of them for a LONG time! It is possible someone installed the battery incorrectly and it was flopping around loose. :frown:

The wiring diagram I have isn't quite right so tracing things and figuring out what is supposed to be connected to what has been a chore (to say the least!) and I can understand why some previous owner had completely abandoned the electrical system (lights, turn signals, and everything else) and was just using the magneto ignition.

Of course I wont let it stay this way. Slowly but surely I am getting it sorted, one circuit at at time LOL! I spent 3 hours just getting the brake lamp working again from the battery terminals - I am using a small power supply because I don't trust anything yet and don't want to burn up any wires by using a battery! Wires were broken off, lamp terminals corroded, brake lamp switch spring weak, and a dozen other little things! Most of the bulbs are burned out or missing so I have to verify everything with a voltmeter as I go. I am also making corrections/additions to the wiring diagram as I find things that are missing on the diagram or wired differently on my bike.

I figured the electrical would take me a day but now it is looking more like 3 days - and that's with an extensive background in electrical! Good thing nobody has to pay my "shop rate" for this work - they'd be taking out a loan! ROFL!

(As soon as I have enough posts to post pictures, I will!)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a chance to work on the 50 for awhile yesterday and got some of the lights working. The stop lamp and neutral light are working now but I still seem to be missing the power feed to the headlamp and tail light.

I took the ignition switch off to trace it - what is connected to what in each of the 3 positions - but didn't have to to go any farther.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
I've always loved the older Hondas. I don't think they got as much credit for getting people into the sport of riding as they should have. Glad this one found a good home and a new lease on life. I just wish I knew more about how these old electrical systems worked. I cant get the brake light to function on my CT70.:frown:
Thanks for posting.:)

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
The 50 was one featured in the 'you meet the nicest people' ads. Sure got me interested; enough that the first vehicle I owned was a Honda S90.

That one looks pretty good, cosmetically. Shouldn't take much to make a show bike of it, once the wiring is sorted out.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Do you have the plastic to go with it? I don't know how hard it is to find, but that bike was state of the art back when we had the Honda shop.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dad was a mechanic and former biker (1930s & 40s) and even though Honda was new to North America in the early 60's, he had heard good things about their quality, despite the (then) horrible reputation for Japanese quality. The first winter, he took the engine off my bike and "went through it" on the pretext of "making sure it would be reliable for the coming year" - I think he just wanted to see the inside! :tongue: He commented over and over again how well it was built and the quality of the machining. He started the engine loose on his work bench and it just sat there and ticked over. It didn't vibrate, it didn't 'walk' across the bench, it just sat there running!

The Beach Boy's song "Little Honda" came out the summer I had my 50 and I think the 50 really 'softened' the public attitude on bikes and bikers quite a bit. Even on the Honda 50 I pulled up to a gas station to see the sign flip from "Open" to "Closed" more than once! Honda's "light bikes" and younger audience helped erase the previous bad reputation of the older bikes and their riders.

I will get the electrical figured out - that was my career for 40 years - it just might take some time.

I have the plastic but the pieces need some repair. My greatest challenge in that is figuring out what adhesive works on this unknown type of plastic! Everything I have tried so far doesn't stick! :frown:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Excellent links Luvs!

That link for a plastic set makes it not worthwhile to repair the originals!

The link for parts has been bookmarked for future use! :wink:

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
Gonna have to watch this thread. This looks like its gonna be an outstanding project! It should look really nice by the time you're done fixing her up.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I figured out what was going on with the lights. :) On the C100, the head and tail lamps don't get their power from the battery but directly from the the alternator so they are only on when the ignition switch is in position 2 AND the motor is running. Though there isn't a single bulb in this bike that isn't burned out or missing, I was able to confirm power to all the lamp sockets with a volt meter. I also connected a 12v car head lamp directly to the alternator lead and confirmed the alternator can deliver good power so now it is time to try to find all the appropriate 6v bulbs.

I also decided to put all the plastic back on so it LOOKS like a Honda 50 (instead of something a kid cobbled together in his father's garage). It looks much better dressed!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the process of restoring a nice little 1965 Honda C100 - after 32 years of sitting in someones garage it started right up. These things are so simple and efficient!

Out of Curiosity - what is the number on your frame? I have the original pink slip for my bike and it says the date it was first sold is 00/00/65 but the date issued was 08/10/68. I called Honda USA to try to find out the actual date of the bike and they couldn't find any details on it. Apparently the frame number has a "P" in it which isnt consistant with the US bikes. They referred me to Honda Canada and Honda Japan to see if they could help. They also said that a dealer might have altered the frame number if it was sitting in the showroom for too long. Either way its a pretty bike!

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
Wow! Honda dealers might be unscrupulous? You meet the nicest people on a Honda but dealers not so much? Or maybe their record keeping just wasn't that good back then?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My VIN number is starts with C100N03....... Honda Canada advised me that they did not open a Canadian office until 1969 and never brought C100s into Canada so mine would have been brought in by a dealer from the U.S. or directly from overseas.

I don't know what advantage there would have been for a dealer to alter the number. Up here, altering a vehicle's serial number is a federal crime.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Nice looking bike there Dianne. It looks like it's in pretty good shape for the age. Congrats to you.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts