Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A gentleman that ive known for 22 years is getting ready to sell his 1955 black prince that he bought brand new (he is 94 now). It is is excellent shape, never restored 136k miles everything is original besides the clutch lever and line. It has been up on a motorcycle lift for over 25 years, he put it there when his wife died. the motor turns and it will run, but he drained all fluids and put marvel mystery oil in the cyls before storage.

We are trying to figure out what to list it for, there arent any comps out there.

any opinions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is a family friend, my father knew him when I was a child and saw it run. he used to ride it with his wife to my fathers Sears store to pickup tools and what not. very small town, we knew when we saw it who it was. very distinctive bike. Not to mention he is an avid motorcycle mechanic that used to race motorcycles, and owned a motorcycle part store. if he says it will run.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love to and.... it would make it easier to sell. he is very very very stubborn and doesn't want to lol he is having a hard time selling even, its like his child.

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
Well tell him it's not worth a darn thing but you'll give him $200 just to take it off his hands as a favor.:D

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
50s Vincents - even ones in rough shape - go for quite a lot of money (relative to what I'm used to spending.) They're also sort of a specialty item. Personally, I would try to find a vintage auto auction to put it in. I think he could do very well in front of a collection of the right buyers.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Check out sold auction prices online if you can find any. Other than that get it appraised. When you get something like that it's worth what a collector will pay for it. If you were to take it to an auction you are running a risk of a bad crowd or just not the right buyer being present. If it doesn't go for a high enough price at auction you will have to pay the commission on the highest bid to keep it. It's a tough job to sell a vintage like that for the right price but with some research you should be able to come up with something. And Eye is right, change the fluids and make sure it runs, you can command a better price.

After 30 seconds of searching I found one that sold in 2012 for $122,500.00

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
I would love to and.... it would make it easier to sell. he is very very very stubborn and doesn't want to lol he is having a hard time selling even, its like his child.
From my experience, what makes a bike easier to sell is if it really exists. :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts