Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this 1953 Vespa but I am trying to track down the exact model! Does anyone have any idea?

Could it be an old collectible Harley?

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Vespas were made by Vespa, (I think the parent company is called Piaggio.) Vespas were never made by Harley.

But, a true 1953 Vespa could be worth some good coin!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Vespas were made by Vespa, (I think the parent company is called Piaggio.) Vespas were never made by Harley.

But, a true 1953 Vespa could be worth some good coin!
You are correct, Vespa is owned by Piaggio (I worked at the dealership in DC) and a 1953 model in good condition would definitely be valuable.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Now this is pretty cool! I just looked up Piaggio and Vespa. It seems that Piaggio made airplanes during WWII, and as the war ended, and their factory had been bombed to dust, the owner, and founder's grandson, looked around for some way to get going again. He was seeing lots of Cushman scooters used by the US and British military and was impressed by them, especially since the war-torn Italian roads weren't too great a place for cars, and the war-weary Italian people couldn't afford one anyway. So he re-designed the Cushman, made it Italian sexy, and thus the Vespa was born.

I had no idea!

·
Banned
121 Posts
I have seen the guys on American Pickers pay big dollars for those things.
I actually have watched the same guys buy the merchandise cheaply enough to double or even better on their money, best money involves a sale to the end user, not the guy who sells to them.

·
On The Road Again!
2,657 Posts
There is one around here that goes over my house every so
often. It makes a distinctive howl from those pusher propellers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts