Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I need some help with a Harley Pup I'm attempting to rebuild. Had been standing for around 50 years before I got the chance to restore her. My question is where can I find a workshop manual or does anyone have information on rebuilding the three speed gearbox? Any help would be appreciated. Would post a pic' if I knew how :confused:

·
Motorbike Macgyver
335 Posts
If you can't find any info/advice on it, the best way to learn is to very carefully take it apart, take pictures or video and label each part. As you go, you can inspect each part for damage or obvious signs of wear such as scratches/rust/etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Hillbilly, Thanks fella, but that doesn't help me with tolerences that may be out of spec'. Thats what I need really. I have taken pictures of the dismantling tho'. Cheers

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
It might be worth it to call the Wheels Through Time museum in North Carolina USA. (828) 926-6266. (You can look up an e-mail addy easily enough.) I'm pretty sure Dale there can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Eye m no angel, Thanks fella, just sent them an email and will post here the result. Thanx again

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The harley pup gearbox saga

Hi guys, Well I finally managed to work out where things go in the gearbox with the help of a great fella interstate who had the same gearbox. Surprisingly the box is in extremely good condition, USA made tough! I managed to get replacement roller bearings 1/4" x 1/2" but again like everything else on this rebuild they weren't cheap. It is the strangest design of box I have ever seen. The layshaft only turns when the kick start is operated and after the engine runs the layshaft stays stationary but the gears on it turn. The feeling of success once assembled is the greatest.
Cheers all. Gerry in Oz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts