Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
In my experience, the Chinese steeds need more work to go long distance than a bike from a known firm. However, the Chinese bikes are (the ones that aren't clones of complex machines, anyway) built stupidly simple and can be brought back to life by someone with duct tape and carb cleaner.

SRK did it the right way. If you buy from Amazon you can get it with a cheap 3 year warranty that'll replace the whole thing if it breaks, so there's a lot less you have to worry about.

Reactions: Eagle Six

·
Registered
973 Posts
I always carry some challenge money and this seems like something I would spend $1,600 bucks on, 1,400 for the bike and 200 to con a friend into jumping it into a pond. I'm not going to take back all the rotten, nasty, bad things I have ever said about Chinese junk bikes, but I have to admit, that was impressive! If I ever need a throw-away dirt bike, I guess Amazon would be the way to go!!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is sort of my thinking -- it's essentially a "kit" bike that, although it comes with no instructions, even I could assemble, and have fun doing it. It is street-legal in my state, and wouldn't be the worst way to get around town. It's clearly offroad-capable enough to allow some fun bombing-around the farms owned by a couple of my dirt-bike-riding friends. And, as MM says, invest a couple hundred in the warranty and even if the darned thing blows up in a year, it's fix it, replace it, or money refunded. I do have a nice tax refund on the way...hmmmm...:)

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
I good cross country race in a mountain area is a lot tougher on a bike than that. I did not see any sage brush to rip of parts, big rocks to buckle the rims, mud bogs, large logs to cross, hills too steep to get up, and down, snow and ice, plowed fields and other nasties covering 50 miles.
The motor fired after the swim, but how long will it run? My Zundapp ran after swimming, but I swapped it for a Sachs anyway.
Meanwhile I have a new CC diesel heater that will not run, a thermostat that is 15 degrees off, a post hole digger that broke the first time it hit dirt, a sander that just made it to the end of one boat sanding. Wheel bearings that lasted about 18 months. Probably lots more.
But surprisingly my 1000 watt $150 2 stroke generator fired yesterday. It is about 12 years old.

UK

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UK, points well taken -- but I would use it for fun, and that 50-mile cross-country race you describe doesn't sound like much fun!:D

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
UK, points well taken -- but I would use it for fun, and that 50-mile cross-country race you describe doesn't sound like much fun!:D
I have done a few tough things in my life. But a 50 mile cross country race in the mountains and hills of BC, is the toughest thing I ever did. It does get easier as you add to your riding ability and knowledge.
My goal was to finish in the top ten which I did.

UK

·
Ace Tuner
3,481 Posts
I watched the video.
In the first few minutes I laughed but by the end I had sort of a bad feeling right down in the bottom of my heart.
Kinda the same way you feel when you have to shoot a stray dog that is in such bad shape you know there is no saving it so... BANG.

S F

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I watched the video.
In the first few minutes I laughed but by the end I had sort of a bad feeling right down in the bottom of my heart.
Kinda the same way you feel when you have to shoot a stray dog that is in such bad shape you know there is no saving it so... BANG.

S F
Yeah -- making it watch the Democrat debate ... that was just gratuitous cruelty.

·
Visionary
5,245 Posts
I saw that Video when they first posted it, I was thinking..damn that thing is taking the beating pretty darn well...

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
You know what this bike and video tells ya? Y’all baby your bikes too much. Get on those suckers and ride the things. Some of you would pass out just thinking about the road I have to ride to get to the kind of roads you travel on. There are only a handful here that know what I mean. This video proves bikes will take a beating and still be fine. But keep washing and waxing them because it makes them run better. You would have a lot more fun and see a lot more if you would just go down any road that crosses your path. Ride in all weather too. You are missing a lot. REALLY, you are in most cases.

Reactions: mike721
1 - 11 of 11 Posts