Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right the best way of describing this is if you were say in a car and had it in the wrong gear it will shake , shudder well this is what my scooter does , only if i pull away slowly thoe it fine when i speed up but say if im in traffic and have to weave throught traffic very slowly it will shudder , shake . any ideas what is making my bike do this ??.

i took it to the bike dealer and they just told me to give it more throttle when going from a start but this isnt pratticle if im going very slowly through traffic .

this happens from a start at a junction or when im driving very slowly thoe.

pleas help thankyou ..

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I'm not familiar with your bike at all. Does it have a clutch like a "normal" motorcycle?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I take it this is a fully automatic scooter - I suppose it could be a problem with the clutch or gearbox, as you said it seems like it's in the wrong gear?
Could also be fuel issue - does it idle OK? Is the throttle cable adjustable?

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Very common with scooters with high mileage. Is that a "Silverwing" or an "Elite?"

Could be the variator OR the clutch. Probably the centrifugal clutch. Esp if it's gotten some oil on the shoes.

Take it apart, sand (or replace) the shoes, and refinish the inside of the "bell" they grab to. If they're oil soaked, replacement is the only cure.

If there's an oil leak into the clutch, put in a new seal, whatever.

If that doesn't fix it, put new springs/weights in the variator, or just replace it with an Ebay unit. You'll be surpised at the performance of a new one, and it's fun to PLAY with different weights/springs and see the change in how the bike accelerates, what rpms the engine runs to while accelerating, slip speed..

Only caveat; you MAY need to borrow an impact wrench to take the big nut off the variator. You can really X things up trying to do it with big wrenches and cheater bars

·
American Legion Rider
18,980 Posts
Happens in the Harley world too wade. Learned something about scooters though. That's the same pulley system used on one of the printing presses I used to operate before changing careers. I used to just yell for the mechanic. It was all about production so my time was strictly printing not wrenching.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts