Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and currently ride a 50 cc Honda in the UK due to licencing at my age I cannot ride anything else, however in a months fine I can upgrade to a 125 cc motorcycle and was considering either:
Second hand honda/ Yamaha
Or a brand new Chinese 4 stroke

Has to be one of the above due to my budget.

Also if buying second hand what would be classed as high mileage for a 4 stroke 125?

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
It's not mileage so much as maintenance. I would rather buy a used bike that has been ridden than one that just sat. Bikes (and all other vehicle) rot more when sitting than when running. That being said I would go for the used Jap bike rather than the new Chinese bike. I've heard to many quality issues on the Chinese bikes ranging from poor quality fasteners to loose parts. Good Luck

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
For the same amount of money, the used motorcycle will likely last a lot longer and retain its resale value a lot better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the replies, jap bikes were always my preference but I was drawn in by the cheap prices of Chinese bikes but I will probably be going jap having had a good experience with my little Honda so far.
Now debating 2 stroke or 4 stroke... I know 2 strokes relatively well already but 4 strokes are new to me

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
A 4 stroke uses an engine much like a typical car engine. As you go to larger bikes you will find that only 4 strokes exist so you might as well change over to them. Frankly I got tired of the fuel/oil mix crap when I rode 2 strokes.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Biggest concern I'd have about the Chinese bikes is once you buy it, is there a support system from the manufacturer or are you on your own??
Too much worry -- go Japanese -- proven quality and proven back up support.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Absolutely buy the Japanese bike, from a big 4 company (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Suzuki). The bike will be way more dependabe and way easier to get parts for. The Chinese bikes are cheap for a reason. 5 years from now when you have worked your way up and are riding a full sized bike that Jap bike will still be running and will still be worth a thousand dollars, while the Chinese bike will have been ****canned long ago and its owners will be trying to pawn it off on the neighbor kid who looks like he has nothing better to do than inherit a worthless can of worms.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts