Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious as to what most people here do when they encounter an unresponsive traffic light as often happens with motorcycles. Also wondering about others' experience with getting an 1110A ticket. I just received one and I am curious as to how others handle this in court and what the outcomes were. I expected the cop would be fair but he wasn't so now I have to go to court.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,518 Posts
Not sure what a 1110A ticket is. What is your location? I know everywhere I have been in the US either you inch up let the cage behind you trip the signal, or you install a very powerful magnet on the underside of the bike ( I did this on my scooters and my 250cc and 100cc) The sensors are NOT activated my weight they are activated by having the electrical fields disrupted via you driving over or via a sensor mounted on the pole close by. The ones in the pavement is what the magnet works best over. Other than that if you sit through 2 cycles usually there is not an issue with running the red lights. Other than that you could always get off the bike and walk it? I have never ever walked my bike due to this as a side note.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
NH has actually passed a law where a motorcycle can (safely) proceed through a red if the light is unresponsive. I think we have to wait 3 cycles and then we can go if it's clear.

It happens - certainly an issue.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
According to Google, 1110A is "Disobeying A Traffic Signal".

Some lights in Illinois will not change at all until a vehicle is detected. One night, I found myself sitting at a light for 20 minutes until a car showed up behind me and triggered the change. The perpendicular street had a green light the entire time. I think I'm going to put a strong magnet or a few on my kickstands. :)

But yeah, usually I just wait until a car shows up behind me. I'm usually not out late enough to where a car isn't going to appear in a couple minutes or so. That one time above was about 2am, the latest I've ever been out.

From a company that builds traffic signals:

The weight of a vehicle has nothing to do with triggering a green light indication. Vehicle presence is detected by inductive loop technology, which works on the principle of electromagnetic induction, and all that is necessary is a vehicle having sufficient iron in the metal for detection and stopping over the inductive loop which signals the traffic controller that there is traffic waiting at the intersection.

The only vehicles potentially affected may be motorcycles or mopeds, but this can be overcome by drivers pulling near the corner of the lane near the stop bar painted at the intersection. Rhythm Engineering

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Awesome! Thanks! :) Now that I think about it, I do remember reading that in Driver's Ed when I was 15. I had completely forgotten about it.

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
According to Google, 1110A is "Disobeying A Traffic Signal".

Some lights in Illinois will not change at all until a vehicle is detected. One night, I found myself sitting at a light for 20 minutes until a car showed up behind me and triggered the change. The perpendicular street had a green light the entire time. I think I'm going to put a strong magnet or a few on my kickstands. :)

But yeah, usually I just wait until a car shows up behind me. I'm usually not out late enough to where a car isn't going to appear in a couple minutes or so. That one time above was about 2am, the latest I've ever been out.

From a company that builds traffic signals:
Can you make a legal right turn on a red? If so, do that. Then make a U-turn and you are on your way. Beats sitting there 20 minutes. I'd nearly fall asleep waiting that long.:surprise:

·
Ace Tuner
3,741 Posts
I do the right turn on red like hog said. I rarely wait to see if the bike will trigger the light.
One time, when doing a late nite test ride, I made the mistake of pulling into the turn lane. After I realized the light wan't going to change I did the right turn on red to get around it.
A cop saw me do it and came after me. When I explained he said HE wouldn't write a ticket if a guy waited for a couple of cycles.
I wanted to ask him how could I count on getting HIM when I went through a red... but it's probably better not to ask questions at 2:00 AM when wearing greasy motorcycle mechanic clothes.

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
Most states around me have "Dead on Red" laws. Allowing cyclists to proceed through an unresponsive traffic light after a full cycle and with clear traffic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you make a legal right turn on a red? If so, do that. Then make a U-turn and you are on your way. Beats sitting there 20 minutes. I'd nearly fall asleep waiting that long.:surprise:
That's exactly what I did. The right hand turn itself was legal, as was the u-turn. Technically I am guilty of the charge of disobeying a traffic device and appealing to the state trooper didn't help.

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
That's exactly what I did. The right hand turn itself was legal, as was the u-turn. Technically I am guilty of the charge of disobeying a traffic device and appealing to the state trooper didn't help.
I'm confused now. If a right turn on red light is legal, then what traffic device did you not obey? Got to be more to this. Your statement has contradictions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm confused now. If a right turn on red light is legal, then what traffic device did you not obey? Got to be more to this. Your statement has contradictions.
It was a red light. No contradictions, unless you look at the laws. My turns were safe and the officer never disputed that when I asked him. I originally thought he pulled me over because of the u-turn, but it turns out that that in and of itself was not illegal.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,518 Posts
It was a red light. No contradictions, unless you look at the laws. My turns were safe and the officer never disputed that when I asked him. I originally thought he pulled me over because of the u-turn, but it turns out that that in and of itself was not illegal.
Did you do a left or right hand U-turn? Was it one of them situations where you knew the light was not going to sense you and you rolled through it, or did you stop or not stop this time as to wait and see?

I have been guilty of this myself knowing something was going to do something a certain way and assumed, but was this your situation at that? I could see them, being unreasonable and giving a ticket not caring if you have waited there 1000 times before knowing what the outcome would be. There are certain lights and streets they lurk in waiting for people like you and I to roll up to and stop us criminals. It sucks, your next thing would be to figure out if you want to fight it or just pay it and move on and avoid that particular light from now on if possible.

Go to Home Depot, Lowes or whatever hardware store get the most powerful magnet possible. The ones I get are not that big, 1" x 2" ceramic and I epoxy them in my lower cowl that is closest to the road on my sport bikes. On the Blackbird I did not need it nor do I need it on my Goldwing but all the others I did, they did not produce enough electrical field to disrupt the traffic light signalling process. Also as mention look for them lines in the road, that it the grid you must disrupt in the pavement, it has nothing to do with weight, all electrical activity.

·
Ace Tuner
3,741 Posts
But ? ... Right turn on red is legal. What gives?

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
But ? ... Right turn on red is legal. What gives?
Even though he stated a right turn on red is legal, it must not be then. Or he did something else that he isn't saying. Like maybe a hotrod start or didn't stop with feet down to prove to the cop he stopped. I do stops all the time where I stop, balance and then proceed. Technically I did not stop even though I'm not moving. It's stupid but those feet down is what they look for. At least here it is. But yes, I'm still confused with his statement and even more so with the response. It makes zero sense now unless what I stated above.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Even though he stated a right turn on red is legal, it must not be then. Or he did something else that he isn't saying. Like maybe a hotrod start or didn't stop with feet down to prove to the cop he stopped. I do stops all the time where I stop, balance and then proceed. Technically I did not stop even though I'm not moving. It's stupid but those feet down is what they look for. At least here it is. But yes, I'm still confused with his statement and even more so with the response. It makes zero sense now unless what I stated above.
To recap:

I stopped at the light and waited over a minute. knowing that the light didn't detect me. I then proceeded to make a right hand turn, then a left hand u-turn, and finally, a right turn. All turns were safe (and otherwise legal).

I share your bewilderment as to why I was issued a ticket at all, but technically I was in violation of the 1110A, which is what he wrote me up for - disobeying a traffic device. The situation is absurd and I am hoping the judge sees it that way.

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
Then you better study the specific law in your state that deals with a legal right hand turn. There may be a statement that you have to wait 3 cycles or some such and if it never cycled he's got you. I'm thinking the dead light though. But there still might be something about when you can make a legal right turn on red. So I'd study those laws carefully before you go to court. If he's a no show it might get dismissed anyway but I'd be prepared.

·
Ace Tuner
3,741 Posts
I do stops all the time where I stop, balance and then proceed. Technically I did not stop even though I'm not moving. It's stupid but those feet down is what they look for. At least here it is.
Yep, Texas law.
I had a policeman explain it to me. He said: "You didn't stop if you didn't put a foot down". Then he asked me to do him a favor and put a foot down at stop signs.
And that's why I keep wearing out the toe of my left boot...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts