Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cant find the safety switch on the bike the light use to go on now it doesn't. So now when I try to put it in gear when bike is started it just dies.the bike is a 04 1100 v star

·
Premium Member
5,767 Posts
There may be a switch on the side stand, which closes when the stand is up; if the stand is down, most modern bikes will stop running when put in gear. It may just need a good cleaning. BTW, what light?

·
Ace Tuner
3,494 Posts
Like WintrSol said, your side stand switch might need attention.

The rod on the switch is in the "in" position when the stand is down. When the stand is up the rod on the switch moves to the "out" position.
Yours may not be moving out when you put the stand up. The switch is mounted near/at the stand pivot.

I used to know a guy that had to pull the rod out every time he wanted to ride the bike... Said it was his theft prevention device.... Lol
And yeah, what light?

S F

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,504 Posts
My wild @$$ guess would be the neutral light.

·
American Legion Rider
25,919 Posts
My wild @$$ guess would be the neutral light.
Is that needed to complete some safety feature in addition to the switch on the side-stand or something like that?

·
Premium Member
5,767 Posts
There are variations, but many newer bikes run the neutral and side-stand switches in a semi-parallel setup, so that either the neutral light must be on, or the side-stand up, to keep the engine running. I guess that's so you don't ride off with the stand down (read: lawyers). I have, once or twice, done this on my old CB450, and it is literally and figuratively unsettling in the first left turn.:eek:

My Valkyrie has a side-stand down light, too, but that bulb doesn't provide the Voltage pull-up for the ignition to see when the stand is up. Perhaps if this bulb does pull up the input to the OP's bike ignition, it would die the way he describes it. The Suzuki Intruder/Boulevard I had used it to turn on a relay, and that relay failed sometimes, but the switch was always the first suspect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts