Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im at 985, i went to a harley only shop and the mechanic told me if i cant afford my service right now (which i cant) is hould at least change the oil n filter, (which im going to do tomorrow morning) what he forgot to mention was, how many miles can i ride with mynew oil? someone told me between 200-400 miles before i absoultly need to get it in for service.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I rode mine up to the 5000 mile service after the 1000 and no one at the shop in Louisville told me anything about coming in after 200 to 400 miles.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Typically you want to change the oil in a new engine after a few hundred miles.
At a thousand miles already, you're a bit overdue for a change.

Dump the original oil and filter and move to Syn3, the bike most likely came with HD 20w-50 Dino for break-in.
You should see a very fine black powder stuck to the magnet on your drain plug, that's good.
Most of that will be from the rings seating on the cylinder walls.

You CAN do your own services, just make sure to document everything you do, parts, date and mileage.
Get a Service Manual and save yourself a bunch of coin.
The dealer I work at charges 85 bucks an hour, that's one expensive oil change.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
You really want to protect your warranty. If you go much over the 1000 mile mark and something goes wrong, there is the potential that the warranty will be voided.

I'm not sure how strict HD is on their warranties, (anyone here know?) but better safe then sorry.

If you are having trouble with the funds to pay the rather high dealer service costs, check into purchasing a service manual (about $70) and a decent set of tools. HDs are simple machines for the most part and not too hard to maintain. Be sure to follow the required service intervals and log all of the maintenence to protect your warranty if you go that route.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Your owners manual will have the service intervals and what's to be done, in the back.

When you get to that mileage, do each check and mark it in the book.
When you're done, note the mileage, sign and date the entry.

Keep your owners manual handy and note all maintenance and any issues in it.
It's your only proof that proper warranty maintenance was done.

Typically, Syn3 is good for 3-6k miles, depending on climate and riding style.
Always replace oil and filter together, regardless of the schedule.
My Buell manual, for example, says to change the filter every OTHER oil change.
Not when I'm doing it.

Z

·
Registered
2 Posts
1000 mile service...

Before you neglect to ger your 1,000 mile service, check with the dealer you are working with because it may void your warranty. One of my riding buddies has a Springer Classic and his dealer told him that his rear wheel needed truing or may need to be replaced. They did a warranty look up on his bike and Harley-Davidson told them that since he never got his 1,000 service done, they will not cover anything. So, it will probably cost him $600 or more depending on which way he goes, new or repaired.
Get it done. Get your manual signed and save your ass from future problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah but the main thing is about the dealer im low on funds. i might look into doing it myself. they told me 240, but i did the oil myself, and since oil changes by them or any shop is around 80 maybe itll be 80 dollars cheaper since i did it myself. i was told only to use synthetic after 3000 miles. by the bottle and by the guy working at the shop.

·
Banned
1,005 Posts
Before you neglect to ger your 1,000 mile service, check with the dealer you are working with because it may void your warranty. One of my riding buddies has a Springer Classic and his dealer told him that his rear wheel needed truing or may need to be replaced. They did a warranty look up on his bike and Harley-Davidson told them that since he never got his 1,000 service done, they will not cover anything. So, it will probably cost him $600 or more depending on which way he goes, new or repaired.
Get it done. Get your manual signed and save your ass from future problems.
The dealership was blowing smoke. The dealership I worked at would honor any warranty claim, regardless of when or where you got your oil changed. I doubt they ever even talked to H-D, they probably just don't have a tech that knows how to lace and true a wheel!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't think it has squat to do with the oil change, but the "inspect wheels and critical fasteners" part that also wasn't done(documented)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
How extensive was the service work? How much shop time? You do understand Dave that all dealers need to make a profit. If you bought the bike at MSRP then the dealer made a nice profit. He may feel an extensive 1K service will save him warrantee problems later. But don't expect him to lose money on you. When you bought the bike was a free 1K service included to help close the deal or did you dig out your wallet and the dude says "awww just forget it Dave, this ones on me"?

·
Registered
94 Posts
How extensive was the service work? How much shop time? You do understand Dave that all dealers need to make a profit. If you bought the bike at MSRP then the dealer made a nice profit. He may feel an extensive 1K service will save him warrantee problems later. But don't expect him to lose money on you. When you bought the bike was a free 1K service included to help close the deal or did you dig out your wallet and the dude says "awww just forget it Dave, this ones on me"?
The 1,000 mile complete service is free with any new HD bike purchase. Just part of what gives this particular dealer a great reputation around here.

·
Banned
1,005 Posts
A 1K is a 1K no matter what dealership you go to. If the dealer is skimping to save money, they're hosing their customers. They should be following the service manual to a T....should be, anyway...

You can look at your service receipt, it should list quite a bill of goods...o-rings, spark plugs, oil, Sporttrans fluid, two gaskets for the primary...if it seems a little light on the parts side, ask them what they did, exactly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Listen to Zack

Zack's advise is right on! Keep your receipts and document in your owners manual; Harley must recognize this for warranty purpose. No where does your warranty say that your service work must be done at a Harley shop. Zack, hope to see you at Ignacio, black ultra with NRA sticker by rear turn sigs.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
The dealership was blowing smoke. The dealership I worked at would honor any warranty claim, regardless of when or where you got your oil changed. I doubt they ever even talked to H-D, they probably just don't have a tech that knows how to lace and true a wheel!
Yeah, I'd say they were blowing smoke. (I would normaly call it something else but I think the forum police would censor that.) If the wheel is so radicaly out of true that they can notice it during a routine service then it has either been damaged or it is very clearly a warranty issue that has nothing to do with oil changes. (Call HD and find out the name of the factory service rep in your area and discuss it with HIM, and keep in mind that your dealership folks are NOT employees of Harley-Davidson, and they have their own business to run.)

Other then that, I'd want to know how they know it needs truing, (And did they actually take it off the bike, put it on a stand, and measure the radial and lateral run-out with a dial guage? Why did they do that for a routine service?) and I'd also ask how far off factory specs it is? The acceptable limits are in your shop manual so I'd check those first. Fore warned is fore armed, right? (All of my shop manuals are in, well, in the shop, and I'm not driving over there tonight, <chuckle> but if your friend wants to know for sure or until he gets his own manual let me know and I'll check for him tomorrow.) For laced wheels usualy within 1/32 of an inch is okay, both for lateral and radial run out. (I like to get it within .010 if I can.)

Truing a wheel, even if the tire is on, won't take over an hour's labor at anybody's rate. (Not including the R&R of the wheel from the bike.) Heck, have him pay for shipping and I'll true it and check ALL specs for less then $100. lol

There COULD be some other problem with it, such as a bearing failure or a hub problem, but other then damage those would all be warranty issues too, and are NOT related to an oil change. $600 to repair or replace a (stock) wheel? That's a felony in most states.

Edit: If it's a solid or cast wheel it can't be trued, but again, barring damage that would be a warranty thing.

·
Keeping it on 2 wheels
307 Posts
Keep in mind these are all recommended service miles... depending on the riding depends on when you should do certain things. I am at 1005 right now and my appointment is on Thursday for the 1000. I called the HD service shop and they said just not to ride it another 1000 miles... I asked if I could ride my bike back and forth to work and they stated it would not hurt, but not to race it back and forth (LOL). Although if you neglect the recommended services then the warranty becomes an issue. It's like a car... how many truly go to the dealer to get their oil changed???? If they wanted to be pricks about it, it would void the warranty.

Not to make my post too long... I suggest the 1000 going to the dealer and if you have skills to do the rest, well good luck, but I paid way too much for my bike to void the 7 year warranty. So for the next 7 years I will be seeing the HD Service section for servicing. Plus this just adds to resale... if I even do resale :D

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Warranty laws, at least in the US, do not require that the service be done by the dealership. The services do have to be done however at near the suggested intervals. If the warranty provider (usually the factory) can show that maintenance was neglected, they can void the warranty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts