Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.Repair of a Harley requires about 10% of brain of a good car mechanic.
2.Same design for 30 years or so, easy repair, same thing every time.
3.Lots of people still don't know that Harleys are not good bikes and keep buying them.
4.they hold value
5.Harley mechanics rip off people so much, people pretty often prefer to sell them instead of repair.
6.Lots of aftermarket parts.
7.Replacement frames available OEM and after market.
8.Harley ,mechanics make good money.
9.I like them, it is nice to work on something you like.
10. I am sick and tired of cars.
11.Harleys are safer, they have side guards.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've something in excess of 400K miles and about 125K on Harleys, not a lot for someone with fifty plus years of riding, but enough to have a "seasoned" perspective of sorts -- opinianated old fud, in otherwords -- they are the only bike I ever had to bring home on a trailer; sidewall-rim cut that wasn't repairable on the road. Harleys are, well, Harleys... as with most brands, the biggest problem with the machines is the riders -- of other brands.

Ride what you want...

·
Ban Hammer, Try Me.
2009 Ninja 500r
1,364 Posts
I think Harleys got a bad rap for the vibration on a few models that shook some bolts loose, and the auto oilers that made them look like they were leaking oil everywhere. This is what I hear anyway.

Never personally owned one before, a lot of Kawasaki and Honda and Yamaha but no Harleys or Suzuki.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
I've never owned one, but I wouldn't hesitate if the opportunity presented itself. Some of them are the best looking bikes out there. And, while some have reliability issues, the guy that buys one generally has either capable hands or a fat bank account. IMO, most people that buy a Japanese cruiser over a Harley for the reliability factor doesn't get it anyway.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
I think Harleys got a bad rap for the vibration on a few models that shook some bolts loose, and the auto oilers that made them look like they were leaking oil everywhere. This is what I hear anyway.

Never personally owned one before, a lot of Kawasaki and Honda and Yamaha but no Harleys or Suzuki.
Yes. Back in the day (forgive me, I don't know the era or model), they were designed to spill a drop of oil onto the chain every so often to keep it lubed. This is where the nickname "oil drippers" comes from. They were only leaking because they were supposed to.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Mines the dyna sportster bobber wide XL glide bagger
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH that's a cool one too!!! Similar look. Long and sleek. Although if I were to get a new bike right now (and I need one like I need a hole in my head) it might be a Triumph Rocket 3. I once fell in love with them and am finding myself romanticizing them again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts