Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found an accessory online, the Green Light Trigger, was wondering if anyone knows if they work. Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
duh

just realized i didn't explain that. so we all hate sitting at red lights and it never changing. this green light trigger is supposed to remedy that. any thoughts?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Are these illegal anywhere? I'd think the cops wouldn't be too happy with someone running around and just changing the lights to suit their convenience (although I very much understand why motorcyclists would want/need them on occasion)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's not illegal. it doesn't change the light immediately, it just lets the sensor think a car is waiting b/c with a bike it never registers

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Gaevren, I know what you are talking about, I have seen them advertised (although it has been a while since seeing them) Emergency vehicles have them installed so the lights will change for them when they are running "hot" with lights on. The trigger Jerz is talking about though is usually a magnet placed on the bottom of a bike to trick the sensors under the street into thinking it is a car waiting (since most bikes will not trigger some signals, not big enough) unless the sensor is calibrated to bikes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What is a green light trigger worth $$$ ? I can see how it may be beneficial for those lights that don't/can't sense you....

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I might buy one if it was around $2 or $3 bucks, any more than that and I will just make a few turns to get where I am going (I don't mind making the trip a little longer :D) but I only found one around where I live so far that does not sense a bike, and I can avoid that one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They're like $10-$20, was considering it.

I only found one around where I live so far that does not sense a bike...

Someone just told me 2 other "tricks" that may or may not work. Goliath I'd be interested to see if it works for you....

1. put the sidestand down - apparently it may sense the metal and trigger it

2. press your starter - something about the magnetic field that surrounds your bike when you do this

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
They're like $10-$20, was considering it.

Someone just told me 2 other "tricks" that may or may not work. Goliath I'd be interested to see if it works for you....

1. put the sidestand down - apparently it may sense the metal and trigger it

2. press your starter - something about the magnetic field that surrounds your bike when you do this
I have tried both, and no luck on that light. I have called and sent e-mail and a letter to the police, dept. of signs (local) and everyone else I could think of about that light, but so far (2 months) nothing yet. I am pretty lucky in the fact that most of the lights in my area will detect a bike and I don't have to wait.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
The Green Light Trigger is just a WAAY overpriced magnet. If you want something along those lines, just go find a big magnet to slap under your bike. There are people who point out, however, that the traffic light triggers are based on capacitance, NOT MAGNETISM, meaning a magnet won't do you any good.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The Green Light Trigger is just a WAAY overpriced magnet. If you want something along those lines, just go find a big magnet to slap under your bike. There are people who point out, however, that the traffic light triggers are based on capacitance, NOT MAGNETISM, meaning a magnet won't do you any good.
Ok, for the non-engineers, what does capacitance mean? :eek:

I do know here in Miami, they even told me at a gear shop in Miami, that the trigger type devices don't work all that well especially if you have a lightweight sport bike.

then again, I hear from people on the Net in other areas that swear by them.:confused:

Don't you just loved the mixed messages you can get here!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
277 Posts
The traffic light sensors in the ground react to the amount of metal (iron, steel, etc) in it's range. Some bikes are too small to detect, or have too much plastic, not enough metal, etc. That's what is meant by capacitance.

I've come across a handful of lights that seemed to react to the side stand. Can't say for sure whether that was it or not though.

Supposedly, magnetism is not supposed to work, or so my MSF instructor says so.

·
too slow
439 Posts
The traffic light sensors in the ground react to the amount of metal (iron, steel, etc) in it's range. Some bikes are too small to detect, or have too much plastic, not enough metal, etc. That's what is meant by capacitance.

I've come across a handful of lights that seemed to react to the side stand. Can't say for sure whether that was it or not though.

Supposedly, magnetism is not supposed to work, or so my MSF instructor says so.

How about aluminum?

·
Registered
277 Posts
How about aluminum?
From what I remember, I think my instructor was saying that aluminum is becoming a problem because so many companies use it because it's so light weight, and the sensors are having problems picking it up. He quickly touched on this subject and this is going back over a month ago. Maybe look it up on google.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Are these illegal anywhere? I'd think the cops wouldn't be too happy with someone running around and just changing the lights to suit their convenience (although I very much understand why motorcyclists would want/need them on occasion)
What you are refering to is a M.I.R.T. (google will explain further). Opticom is one of the major brand names of these devices. In the "good old days" you could get these on ebay before the legal loop-holes where closed.... the good old days have passed.

·
too slow
439 Posts
From what I remember, I think my instructor was saying that aluminum is becoming a problem because so many companies use it because it's so light weight, and the sensors are having problems picking it up. He quickly touched on this subject and this is going back over a month ago. Maybe look it up on google.

Damn. I've never been at a stoplight yet by myself. Aside from internal parts the only major thing that's steel on my bike is the frame. I guess i'll just have to wait and see...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have been stopped at a couple of lights for many many cycles and then just decided to go when it was safe.

In Denver, they just installed sensors in the bicycle lanes at some of the lights so that they can trip the light with a bicicycle.
Why can't they use them in the regular lanes so that a motorcycle will trip the light.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts