Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I'm in the market for a new naked. I have 8 grand burning a hole in my pocket and I've narrowed my options down to 4 different exotic/semi-exotic nakeds which I have numbered by their cylinders, because its just friggin' adorable that way.

1. 2010 KTM Duke 690

2. 2009 Buell XB12SS

3. 2009 Triumph Street Triple R

4. 2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S

I've been riding for a few years and I'm competent enough. I ride nearly every day of the year in rain and sometimes in light snow. The bike will not be in a garage and instead will receive a cover. This will be my only personal form of transportation and will need to not only be available for in-town commuting but also highway trips lasting up to 5 hours at a time, a wee bit of tom-foolery on the backroads, and light camping duty (what I carry on my back will work) off of well-packed fire roads and short gravel roads. Top speed isn't important at all to me, I'm much more interested in how agile, versatile and responsive the bike is.

I'm interested in any of your takes on the other bikes even if you wouldn't recommend them.

Just to clarify, I'm not interested in a V-Strom or a Multistrada or a Kawasaki Sherpa. Just out of those 4 bikes please.

·
Registered
60 Posts
LOVE that MV Agusta... Absolutely love it. But I think if it's going to be your only form of transportion it wouldn't be the best choice simply because it's rare and getting it serviced will not only be inconvinient, but also very expensive.

What about a Ducati Monster?? Those bikes looks good, are very popular, and would fit your needs very well. If you can spend 8k on it, you would have a lot of choices with engine size and whatnot.

·
Registered
912 Posts
well you asked, but if 4 is going to be hard to get worked on or parts for I'd go with 3....JMHO

IF this is going to be your only transportation wouldn't you need a bike with some kind of compartment to carry stuff in.....

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
I'd go for three. I've owned a couple of KTM's (or as we call em Kmart Trash Machines) and getting parts was always a chore. I don't really know much about the others but I've heard good things about the Triumph.

·
2,110 Posts
First off I wouldn't even consider the Buell.

The Duke looks cool, and an MV... **** man those are sweet, but I don't think you'll find one for under 8K

Not that I've ridden any of those bikes, but from what I've heard and read, the Speed Tripple is the way to go.

#3 all the way!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I assume anyone who incorporates these choiced must live in a big city with dealers. However- that still doesn't mean the parts you want will be available when you want them

I vote for the Triumph. Comfortable, plenty of dealers, reliable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hondaman, I only have a bike with enough cargo room to fit a checkbook right now as transportation. Its never been a problem, I have a big backpack.

All of those bikes I've mentioned, I've found for around 8k. Price isn't much of a concern as long as it floats around 8k for the bike alone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts