Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 249 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on another thread response.............

Why do we NEED anything higher than 1,000cc's on a motorcycle? What's the point? Can't we "do an incline" with even HALF that power?

Who is gaining or benefitting from anything larger than 1,000cc's? What are they gaining?

Since a rider can achieve highway speeds even with bikes under 500cc's, it isn't about doing THAT!

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
21,845 Posts
I personally don't need one but just try to find a full tourer with less and I do, want, not need, a full tourer. Heck my wife's K75 being a 750cc could do 125mph. So there's your proof speed wise that you don't need those big things. In fact as far as I'm concerned her bike was better than my K100 or 1,000cc bike. Both those being full tourers although the K75 was built to that feature. I think for most it's an ego/pride thing.

Even my 400 Honda Hawk I turned into a full tourer and rode two up for 44k functioned fine before I went to the Electra Glide. Now there I could see a big difference. So I see no reason for the over 1,000cc stuff except for what I said, ego/pride. Look at other countries. You rarely see the big stuff. It really isn't needed.

USA seems to have the bigger is better attitude but it really isn't better in my book. Except for those riding two up that are on the robust size might you get a argument for it but then you have to ask, can the tires and frame really handle the load. But that category(large two up) is it to me.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Personally, I like to have the torque available to pass a vehicle or speed up on the highway without having to downshift. The top speed of my motorcycle is not higher than some with half the displacement, and the total horsepower is modest. It has gobs of torque, however.

Those with touring bikes use bigger engines to carry the larger motorcycle, and easily maintain highway speeds.

Race-style motorcycles use the displacement for high top end speeds and quick acceleration.

·
Registered
943 Posts
What's that you are sitting on Soupy? Is that a 500cc or maybe a 750?

A 60HP airplane will fly just fine but there hasn't been a new one built since the 1940s. It isn't about "need" - it is about performance and capability.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yeah sure I guess my 1830cc Raider is a bit decadent, especially when its in "single seat" configuration & no luggage :71baldboy:

Sure a 500cc bike will get up to cruising speeds too, but the engine will be straining/buzzing like crazy the whole time, and barely no 'reserve power' available if needed

·
Charlie Tango Xray
763 Posts
USA seems to have the bigger is better attitude but it really isn't better in my book. Except for those riding two up that are on the robust size might you get a argument for it but then you have to ask, can the tires and frame really handle the load. But that category(large two up) is it to me.
I'll agree, but I think what differentiates the US from other countries is our vast interstate system. I too confess to buying ginormous bikes in the past, (along with my riding buddies) for traveling the interstates, even though we HATE riding the interstates and only ride them maybe 5% of the time. The other justification, (at least with the other guys, and as previously mentioned) is not wanting to downshift while passing. You'd think DCT or automatic transmissions would be more common today if thats the case.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What's that you are sitting on Soupy? Is that a 500cc or maybe a 750?

A 60HP airplane will fly just fine but there hasn't been a new one built since the 1940s. It isn't about "need" - it is about performance and capability.
Well that's the whole point really...........I'm "sitting on" a 750cc motorcyle, and it keeps up just fine on the highways, and I have no problem passing a vehicle with it.

I remember the days on the 500cc bike, (which ALSO kept up with highway traffic) but I realize now how I was pretty much "maxed out" at 65 MPH.

I "get" the improvement of a higher "cc" bike in that regard, having now had experience on a larger bike. I'm just wondering if anything over 1,000cc's is really necessary, that's all.

What the market produces, is "what they produce," but I guess I figured that they too would be trying to downsize the weight, and maximize the power, and I guess I figured someone on their Design teams would level off at 1,000cc's because of the theory I am putting forth, that no more power is really needed, theoretically.

-Soupy

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would have to agree with you soupy. However, I have never ridden anything over 650 and would prob never buy anything over a 900cc if that.

·
7,784 Posts
I like big BIKES and can't deny it. Think of: "Baby got back," as you say it:biggrin:

I like the big cruisers like Nordic man has but I never realized a bike could be "Decadent," in and of itself:

"Yeah sure I guess my 1830cc Raider is a bit decadent---" Nordic man.

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/decadent

I like to ride the TORQUE wave produced by big engines in their effortless fashion. A gear is never dropped (down shifted) to pass from 40 to 140.

"EGO/PRIDE?" Come on, there we go stereotyping again. Lots of People have these big, powerful bikes, like myself but I also at the same time have scooters and smaller cc bikes---ODD, I guess that makes people with "love of the big and small," Bi-polar/ Manic Depressive:biggrin:

Big, powerful bikes just don't have to try so hard to do their jobs and they are ALWAYS ready to do their jobs. They put a smile on my face when that acceleration kicks in! There is nothing like a Yamaha V-max, Suzuki 1200 Bandit or my last Superbike, a 2009 Buell C1125R superbike, when one is feeling frisky:p There is nothing quite like the FUN of a Scooter on beautiful country roads!

Is there any reason to have a toaster that holds 4 pieces of bread? Is there any reason for an LCD big screen TV? is there any reason for high speed internet when Dial-up will do? Is there any reason for a ZTR or other riding mower? Is there any reason for anything over a 286 PC, with 1 MB of ram and a 40 MB Hard Drive?:biggrin:

YES to all of these and more.

When I sell my 2012 Goldwing, I may buy a much smaller bike---so I guess that makes me EGO free!:icon_cool:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Premium Member
5,503 Posts
One of the draws of big-cc cruiser and touring bikes is they are also, generally, more massive, making them a lot smoother and less vulnerable to winds out on the superslabs. Personally, my 800 is plenty bike for me. Different answer for sport bikes - those guys are just nuts.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Forget ego if you ride a lot. Bigger bikes means heftier frames, more torque, better in crosswinds, less vibration, and more seat comfort. Then, if you want to ride two up and drag a box behind, it still has the power to get you out of trouble. Most have a larger tank, except the Raider, to get you farther down the road before you need to stop.

·
American Legion Rider
21,845 Posts
I like big BIKES and can't deny it. Think of: "Baby got back," as you say it:biggrin:

I like the big cruisers like Nordic man has but I never realized a bike could be "Decadent," in and of itself:

"Yeah sure I guess my 1830cc Raider is a bit decadent---" Nordic man.

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/decadent

I like to ride the TORQUE wave produced by big engines in their effortless fashion. A gear is never dropped (down shifted) to pass from 40 to 140.

"EGO/PRIDE?" Come on, there we go stereotyping again.
Lots of People have these big, powerful bikes, like myself but I also at the same time have scooters and smaller cc bikes---ODD, I guess that makes people with "love of the big and small," Bi-polar/ Manic Depressive:biggrin:

Big, powerful bikes just don't have to try so hard to do their jobs and they are ALWAYS ready to do their jobs. They put a smile on my face when that acceleration kicks in! There is nothing like a Yamaha V-max, Suzuki 1200 Bandit or my last Superbike, a 2009 Buell C1125R superbike, when one is feeling frisky:p There is nothing quite like the FUN of a Scooter on beautiful country roads!

Is there any reason to have a toaster that holds 4 pieces of bread? Is there any reason for an LCD big screen TV? is there any reason for high speed internet when Dial-up will do? Is there any reason for a ZTR or other riding mower? Is there any reason for anything over a 286 PC, with 1 MB of ram and a 40 MB Hard Drive?:biggrin:

YES to all of these and more.

When I sell my 2012 Goldwing, I may buy a much smaller bike---so I guess that makes me EGO free!:icon_cool:

Sam:coffeescreen:
Okay, maybe a better question would be when and what is enough? We have bikes with V8 engines in them and even air plane engines. So if it isn't ego/pride what will ever be enough? I get the fact that some don't like shifting to be in the power band but the question from the OP was is anything greater than 1,000cc necessary. I thought anyway.:confused:

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
There are houses with three doors, cars with hopped up engines, and weekend campers with DRW pickups. Big bikes are made and some people just want them. Can't fault people for not all wanting the same thing. If that were the case, there would be one motorcycle manufacturer making one model.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Does anyone really "need" more than 1000 CC's, probably not, but do you really need 500HP in your car or a one ton pickup to get groceries? Not so much but there's a ton of them on the road.
Yes I do ride a 1200, and part of that was due to my motorhead, but it did have more of the things I wanted than the 800. The 800 would have been plenty of engine for anything I wanted and would have had the advantage of being 90 lbs lighter and easier to manage on the trails. But the changes in suspension and electronics that were on the 1200 did make a difference in my decision. I love my ride!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I do not need my 1731cc bike engine. What I do need is a bike that is rated to carry me, my passenger and my luggage at highway speeds. If you know of a significantly smaller engine in a bike with load ratings over 500 lb and lots of storage space please let me know. I do travel 2 up for thousands of miles in a single trip so using a marginal bike is just not in the cards for me. I do own a 1965 BMW R60 and a 1981 Honda CX500C with a Vetter IV fairing but neither one meets my touring needs.

Have a good day searching for a bike that proves me wrong Soupy. I did a rather exhaustive search before buying my Vision. I really liked my 2007 Star RSTD at only 1300cc but it was crippled by a load capacity of only around 410 lb. The Venture, its touring model, had the same limitation.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
need?????

Why do you have a motorcycle?
economics....I guess you're riding around on a 150cc scooter
need to carry more......ok a 300cc scooter

Why would you ever need anything over a 300cc scooter?
good mpg, can carry plenty, can do well over highway speed, handles good in the curves......

So lets justify having a 750cc cruiser.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
............So lets justify having a 750cc cruiser.
I said it previously, but perhaps I should state it another way to make the point.......

When I rode the 500cc for ten years, I found that it was more than sufficient for most daily commutes. However, when I got on the highway, and did a long haul with it, I found the limit, the "ceiling" if you will, in terms of passing power and speed.

I could GO "65 MPH" but there were additional factors at play that made that long ride on the 500cc a wearisome chore.

At least with the 750cc, my "need" For passing strength (if nothing else) was gratified. My whole premise for this Thread was, the lack of "need" beyond 1000cc's. To say that a 300cc Scooter would be a good all-around motorcycle for all conditions, is a stretch, to my way of thinking.

-Soupy

·
Premium Member
7,885 Posts
Scooter

If I had just one bike it might be a 650 Suzuki dual purpose single,
If I had just one street bike for mostly spring to fall use, it would likely be a GSX 750 Suzuki.
It is the constant 70 mph freeway riding that leads to a bigger bike. Bigger loads, higher average speed. High revs get boring. Putter putter is much easier to take.

Around town and around my Island, and winter riding, my 400 Yamaha is best.
On the freeway Deep Purple is doing 6000 at about 60 mph and 7000 at 75, and 8000 at just under 90. And that is where DP runs out of horsepower. All I want for Christmas is 1000 more revs. He can do 9500 easy in fourth.
The 600s that the kids want to buy, run 14,000 revs. The SV650 Suzuki is a much nicer ride.

I would not mind riding a big thunder chicken on the highway, but would probably curse it around town, and over the mountain passes.
But I will not ride anything over 560 pounds dry. And that likely limits me to the Moto Guzzi cruiser. Oh darn. Okay, I would also like a Guzzi for Christmas.

Unkle Crusty*

·
American Legion Rider
21,845 Posts
I think it will be fairly safe to say a 1,000cc engine is all anyone "needs" for most anything one might do on public roads and highways. But every cc above it allows you to do those things even easier and quicker if needed including being illegal while doing it. How's that for confusing talk?:D Or is that clear? Heck I don't know today. Time for a beer or 10.

1 - 20 of 249 Posts