Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this bike recently (4200 miles) and it is in great working condition except one small annoyance. Sometimes at slower speeds, when I apply the front brake it will make sort of a grinding sound and act a little grabby. I have taken off the caliper and inspected for debris, cracked pads or worn pads, and checked the brake rotor as well. Everything looks perfect, the bike stops perfectly, and everything.

I hope someone reading this will of had this issue, and can shed some light on what else I could look for.

Thanks in advance!

don

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
You can check the disk for true by attaching a piece of stiff wire to the fork and bending it at a 90-degree angle lightly against the disk. Raise the front wheel off the ground and slowly spin it by hand and observe if the wire stays about the same distance from the rotor.

·
Super Moderator
6,294 Posts
I have a vstar and had that issue too...probably some junk on the pad....after checking to be sure you still have enough pad on it, I usually take mine for a ride to a parkinglot and hit the front brake a couple of times, usually stops it for awhile. Also I hold the front brake, then release, push the bike backwards and apply the front brake again...do this a couple of times. I have gone through that a few times. But I have 36K and haven't had to change pads or brakes yet.

·
Super Moderator
6,294 Posts
I get 17K on tires on my bike too! I got over 70K on my Jeep rotors! I don't use the brakes a lot, may wear the heck out of the gas pedal though!:biggrin:

·
Chris
341 Posts
hahaha HOLY ****!!!! 17k on the tires!?!?!?! what are they made of? supper steal?!?!
That seriously doesnt sound possible for the tires to last that long!

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
hahaha HOLY ****!!!! 17k on the tires!?!?!?! what are they made of? supper steal?!?!
I got 25,000 out of the OEM rear tire on mine and nearly 35,000 out of the front. These are Dunlop 401's, so they are not soft racing tires, of course. Keeping a close eye on the air pressure can add many miles to the tread as well.

·
2,828 Posts

I also have a 650 V-Star and got 15k on the factory installed rear tire. The compound was quite hard.

Back to the OP. I think Raven hit it. Small amount of **** will make them screech, grind, and be a little grabby. Never had an issue at speed.

·
Honk if you've never seen a gun fired from a bike
821 Posts
With brakes, when in doubt, put on new ones. They're $15, and they keep you alive, worth while investment to not leave to chance I think.

I change tires every 10k miles and brakes every 10k miles. It's relatively cheap insurance to keep it shiny side up, but my tires are pretty beat by then anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts