Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, new here, and new to motorcycles. Bought a new V Star 650, and having a problem:

OK, I"m pretty sure it's leaking gear oil from the differential thingy that connects to the rear hub (it's shaft drive). There's a few random droplets that form on the differential itself, and the frame near there. The most obvious sign something is wrong, is that oil is literally coating the left side of the rear tire, sprayed all up inside the fender, etc. It's like an unwanted automatic armor-all dispenser.

So, I checked the oil level according to the manual, noted it's a bit low (duh), and put some more in. Then tightened the drain plug a bit (seemed loose), and fill plug. Using soapy water, I cleaned the oil off of the tire, and wheel, frame, etc. Then went for another ride. Oil is all over the tire again, so it's still leaking from somewhere. Looking everywhere under there for where the oil is coming from, and can't tell. :confused:

Obviously I should take it back to the dealer for warranty repair. The problem is, it's a pain in the a** for me to get it back to the dealer right now...they aren't exactly close to my house. (not so sure the thing is safe to ride there either, with oil spraying all over the tire.)

Does anyone know of something I can check? Could riding it too hard/long during the "break-in" period cause leaks? I put 220 miles on it in 3 days, probably the longest single ride with no break was 40 minutes. But I don't think I've rode it hard.

Thanks for any help.

-Logan

G

·
Sounds like you blew a seal, and there is no way normal riding on a new bike should cause this. Under these circumstances I would call the dealership and explain the problem and see if you can arrange for them to come get it. And don’t take no for an answer. (stressing the fact that it is now an unsafe bike!! Lawsuit wink-wink ;) )

·
Paramedic
860 Posts
+1 Tell the dealer it's unsafe to ride and make them come pick it up. Oil, rubber and asphalt don't mix. The shop should have it repaired at no cost to you whether you put oil in it or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try the dealer tomorrow. They were very eager to deliver the bike, let's see how eager they are to pick it up!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Are you seeing oil or grease? FWIW, I just noticed a similar condition on my bike a few days ago but it seemed too thick to be oil. The diagnosis I got was that someone had over greased the output splines and other than keeping the grease off of the tires it was nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's definitely oil. They tell me that a seal was installed improperly, so they have to fiddle with that for another day, then I'll finally get it back. How much grease is on your tire? Mine was literally coated with oil on the sidewall, and even running onto the tread. (wreck waiting to happen, yikes!)

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's definitely oil. They tell me that a seal was installed improperly, so they have to fiddle with that for another day, then I'll finally get it back. How much grease is on your tire? Mine was literally coated with oil on the sidewall, and even running onto the tread. (wreck waiting to happen, yikes!)
Ouch, glad they found the problem.

Mine looked like very fine radial lines. Like small bits were thrown onto the inside of the rim and the centrifugal force moved them to the outside forming lines. I couldn't find anything on the rubber.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts