Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I bought this bike from an insurance auction. Stolen theft recovery.
The ignition switch had been jerry rigged with a screw driver. Replaced it; nothing.
Saw that the voltage regulator connections were burnt. Replaced it; nothing.
The battery is charged and when I turn ignition to 'ON' I don't get any dash lights. Nothing.
When I put a volt meter on the connection to the starter relay (battery side of the relay) I get 12 volts.
When I turn to iginition to 'ON' the voltage drops to 0 volts.
There seems to be some kind of short that is sapping the power but there's no blown fuses and there's no 'hot' wires or burning smell.
I can keep replacing electrical parts until I find it but I thought someone here might have a clue. Thanks

·
American Legion Rider
21,265 Posts
Be sure to check all fuses. Including Maxi fuses if yours has them.

EDIT:
I don't know your bike but does it have fuel injection? Or any other reason to need a computer. They could have fried that too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok... new battery. now it's blowing the main 30amp fuse. even without turning to 'on'. might need to start looking for more burnt wires. where there's one... uno!
any suggestions?

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Sounds like the wire harness that connects to the rectifier/regulator has a couple wires shorting together. Prolly the red (hot wire that runs to battery) and the ground wire (possibily a black or green wire).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts