Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a 2007 Suzuki DR650 (completely stock!) 12,000 miles and I just cant seem to get it right! I have been fighting it for almost a year. so any advice will be much appreciated.

It runs fine at low rpm, starts great but at probably 3000 rpm it cuts out and backfires and it does not come out of it, if i hold the throttle its like riding a bull it just cuts in and out and wants to throw me off. I cant make it to 4th gear

What I've done... First i drained the gas tank (found a well preserved wasp in there. weird.) drained the carb and filled it up with premium non ethanol, didn't help the problem. I took off the carb, cleaned it sprayed out the jets and still didnt have any luck. I drilled out the cap that hides the pilot screw and adjusted it, it did make it run better but the backfire and loss of power is still there. So then I checked valve clearance, intake was spot on at 0.08mm and the exhaust was tight, my 0.08 gauge wouldn't even fit so I set it at 0.17. made the engine a little quieter i think but the backfire is still there. The spark plugs are gaped right

Any ideas? please and thank you

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I give carbs a complete disassembly and a good overnight soak in carb dip when cleaning instead of just spraying them out when this type of issue comes up. Rinse thouroughly with warm water, then use pressurized air to dry them completely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try that. what do you use to soak it in? and I am no mechanic but I know enough to get myself in trouble. should i just buy a rebuild kit? that was going to be my next move because I didn't know what else to do but the carb looks good there is no corrosion it was actually very clean, I never give it ethanol

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
carb mix settings

the concept of 60/40 for a air/fuel mixture will make the engine fire if the timing is right and the plugs coils wires and brain are ok, but it won't run there.

it sounds like your firing issues might be the electrical(plugs wires, coils, brain)

old plug wires will get hot after they fire a while so start the engine and when it starts to stutter, feel the wires.

noise cancelling resistor plug wires need the resistor changed from titme to time.

coils that are going bad will work until they get hot, then they will fail almost immediately.

assuming the least is usually the worst. You will be required to do a complete assessment of the problem to fix it. You will find that everything, rarely goes wrong at the same time, but once you begin to have problems, fixing one will usually lead to fixing another.

My cure: fix everything that could cause the problem...costly but efficient.
Most shops: replace everything that might cause the problem with new things. who cares how much it costs, or if it fixes it.(everything that might have caused the problem is new, so the machine must be having aging issues?)

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
Dr650

Do a search for DR650 carb upgrade.

They say the stock carb has problems, and offer suggestions for replacements. You are not the first to report running issues with a DR650.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Registered
64 Posts
If the bike runs OK up to 3000 rpm then backfires and loses power then I think it is probably electrical. It is possible that the timing is not advancing at higher revs in which case this will produce a miss fire. Also, if you have a capacitor breaking down in the CDI unit then you can intermittently lose the spark at higher revs giving this bucking bronco effect. The capacitor cannot charge and discharge accurately at higher frequencies i.e. rpm's and it runs as if the timing is off. Running a weaker mixture may reduce the back fire but the loss of power still remains.

The trouble with this is that I don't know a way of checking this other than to put the bike on some sort of diagnostics unit or swapping the CDI.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'm starting to think it is something electrical. The plugs both look like they have good spark, but of course the bike is cold when I check that. I will try cleaning the carb again this weekend but I am not thinking it will fix it.. I'll probably get coils and plug wires also so I can eleminate that.

How would I check the timing?

And thanks everyone for your input

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
I doubt the timing is the problem. Sounds like you have an air intake leak. If too much air is drawn into the intake system the symptoms will be as you have stated. Is your airbox stock? Is there a crack or gap in the system? How is the condition of the air filter element? The DR650 is a single cylinder motor, which is quite vulnerable to air intake problems. Try starting the bike and spray either wd40 or carb cleaner around the airbox and the duct systems... listen for a change in idle (rpm).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, I have a 2007 Suzuki DR650 (completely stock!) 12,000 miles and I just cant seem to get it right! I have been fighting it for almost a year. so any advice will be much appreciated.

It runs fine at low rpm, starts great but at probably 3000 rpm it cuts out and backfires and it does not come out of it, if i hold the throttle its like riding a bull it just cuts in and out and wants to throw me off. I cant make it to 4th gear

What I've done... First i drained the gas tank (found a well preserved wasp in there. weird.) drained the carb and filled it up with premium non ethanol, didn't help the problem. I took off the carb, cleaned it sprayed out the jets and still didnt have any luck. I drilled out the cap that hides the pilot screw and adjusted it, it did make it run better but the backfire and loss of power is still there. So then I checked valve clearance, intake was spot on at 0.08mm and the exhaust was tight, my 0.08 gauge wouldn't even fit so I set it at 0.17. made the engine a little quieter i think but the backfire is still there. The spark plugs are gaped right

Any ideas? please and thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 DR650 with the same issue...my mechanic is swapping every part with my other DR and still can’t figure out the issue. Did you guys figured out the problem?
Thank you! Petr

·
American Legion Rider
23,697 Posts
That's a 4 year old post so don't hold your breath waiting for a response. It would be great if people would say what they ended up with if the got things fixed or not but far too many just leave us hanging. Good luck with your problem though dr.

·
8,613 Posts
If everything was done correctly, the problem is obviously electrical like a bad coil, spark plugs wire or cap and believe it or not, even brand new spark plugs can be defective. The ECM/ ECU can also have a problem. Disable the Kick stand switch as it may be shorting out intermittently.

Come back in 10 years and let us know what you found!

I had a new DR650 in 1996 and after changing the front countershaft sprocket down 1 tooth, a Supertrapp slip on with a Carb rejet and different tires, the scoot was a fantastic dualsport/ Adventure bike for exploring the foothills and mountains of Southern California!

Sam:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts