Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't be the only idiot that's ever done this, but perhaps it's my inability to articulate the problem that keeps my google searches coming up dry.

I took the engine out, took off the heads and the cylinders, then I accidentally rotated the engine until the front piston skirt got lodged against the top of the block. I can't remove the pin because it's too low in there, and I can't get the motor to rotate backwards. Can someone please guide me towards a resolution?

As the forum posting guidelines say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Product Automotive design

Thanks,
Amir

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
The engine should move backwards, but if you let the chain showing there wad up in the sprocket then that will stop it. Problem being to get the chain loose you have to rotate forward a bit to loosen it to come out and if you have the piston firmly locked against the chain you have a very big problem.

Why one always has to keep the chain(s) free while moving the engine around.

You could try to remove the starter to see if somehow you have activated the one way clutch, that might do it too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine should move backwards, but if you let the chain showing there wad up in the sprocket then that will stop it. Problem being to get the chain loose you have to rotate forward a bit to loosen it to come out and if you have the piston firmly locked against the chain you have a very big problem.

Why one always has to keep the chain(s) free while moving the engine around.

You could try to remove the starter to see if somehow you have activated the one way clutch, that might do it too.
Thanks for your input. I've removed the starter, I've removed the front cylinder's cam sprocket. I tried to pull the rotor to make room to pull the rear cam sprocket, and in doing so I've stripped the rotor nut. It just spins loosely in either direction, even when applying outward force with vice grips. I suppose I'll be dremeling that out, and hoping for the best.

My problems are just adding up over here.

·
Ace Tuner
4,470 Posts
Well the cam chain can be replaced and it looks like the sprocket that runs on at the crankshaft can be replaced. I've never split the case on this machine so...
After all other options fail:
You might have to go all Incredible Hulk on it and risk parts jerking on the chain. (As long as you can save the crankcase that is).
Sorry, that's all I got.

S F

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Is the cam chain tensioner(s) the rachet type? If so and it has sprung all the way tight it may be locking the chain down too. All chains loose you should be able to turn the engine with any chains held out taut to keep them from rolling up on sprockets to wad up locking engine up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts