Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got license in 2012. I rode a little while and unfortunately went bike less for last 1.5 years. Today I finally was able to get a bike again my 2005 Suzuki S40. Question: How do you use the choke? It's done near the fuel switch. The sales guy at our local shop rode it to deliver it to my house since I love close by. Well he dropped it off and I didn't look at or change the choke. When / how should the choke be pushed in or out? Sorry for the dumb newbie question. I rode it for 20 minutes or so around town- thoroughly enjoyed first ride in almost 2 years.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
You use the choke when starting the motorcycle, and while the engine is warming. Generally, you slowly close the choke until the motorcycle will run smoothly without it and you can add throttle. This will only take a few minutes most of the time with a cold engine. A warm engine likely will not need any choke to start.

Once the choke is off and the engine is running smoothly, it is ok to ride.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Going all the way back to basics. When the knob is pulled out the choke is applied. As Dodsfall said, you slowly return it to full in, the off position, as the engine warms up.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it OK that I rode it with the choke apparently out the whole time yesterday? Last bike had the choke on the handlebar as a button that goes up or down so this is a different setup. Supposed to be nice again today so I'll get back out there and this time will work with that choke more.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so choke out to warm it up, then choke in when you go ride

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This morning I started the bike and let run about a minute with choke on, then went off with choke in (well from what I see, there's the pull it out until it sets position, and the push it back position where it doesn't go all the way in but isn't set out either). For a few minutes it chugged a little bit then warmed up. Should I maybe ride it a couple minure with choke in the On set position ? Going to try again this afternoon.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
What's called the choke is actually a fuel enrichener. It adds extra fuel for starting and warming. A real choke cuts off the air supply rather than adding fuel, but it creates the same effect of a more rich mixture. Virtually every carbed motorcycle for at least the last half century uses an enrichener, but the name choke has stuck around.

I'd recommend against riding with the choke on. It can cause problems with the engine potentially, especially if forgotten.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Pull it out to start it, once it will run with it pushed in, that's all there is to do. It is only for starting and getting warm enough to run without it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tha ks. I took it out for a good two hr ride yesterday and loved it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts