Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Riders,

I have a question to you experienced riders. I am thinking about buying a Kawasaki ZX 10R. I am getting a pretty good deal on it. But the bike has 23.000 miles on it.

Does anyone know how long those engines can last?
Is it likely to get the engine up to 50.000 miles or so?

I know those old Goldwings can go up to severla 100k miles. but what about those kawasaki ninja's, zxr's and so forth?

Thank You

·
So long
2,753 Posts
The ZX10 forum has a thread "High Mileage ZX10 Poll- Who's got the most on their bike?" The highest listed is a 2004 with 61,000.

There's no way to predict how long the one you're looking at will last. If it was well maintained and not abused it's possible to reach 50,000.

I hope this isn't your first bike. What do you ride now?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope this isn't your first bike. What do you ride now?
No this is not my first bike, I had a couple 500cc bikes and I also drove my dad's goldwing 1100cc for a while.
Right now I drive a buell 500 which is definitely not big enough.

You got any tips on how I could check if the engine of that zxr is in good shape when i test drive it?

·
So long
2,753 Posts
There's a huge difference between a Buell Blast (34 horsepower) and the ZX10R (158 Horsepower at the rear wheel)!

Only tips are to bring it to a Kawasaki mechanic to check it out for you, review all service records and make sure factory recalls/notices were properly applied.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, but I probably won't be able to have a mechanic check it out. I guess I'll just have to talk to the guy to find out about how many owners the bike had, how it has been maintained and so on.

I read a little in the zx10 forum you told me about. As far as I can tell there were no major flaws or recalls in the 05 series.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts